Hi All,

I'll be spending just over 2 months at the snow in Japan.. I was curious as to what sorta shoes would be good for day to day use? I am assuming my con's won't hold up to well in the snow...

Wear what the locals wear...winter gumboots with a sole for snow and ice and fully insulated. Available in any shoe shop in winter for around 4000-6000 yen. Best to avoid hiking boots or anything with laces.

• 3 weeks later...

I am amazed with the number of Japanese who come up for the weekend with unappropiate shoes...espcially those who get of the bus straight into the snow.....

• 3 years later...

I've worn Cons in the cold.. for the most part they are ok... except when you are trudging through snow.. then the two breather holes on the side let the cold in,...

I've also worn skate shoes and never had a problem. If you're a skater, it has the added bonus of making your soles super-hard wearing, so the upper will wear out before the sole does...

But Apres wellies are what my mum wears and she reckons they are so comfy, that she wears them while walking around Tokyo as well.

Not sure what they'll be like yet but my brother and i got a pair of these each for our trip in Feb. They are pretty comfy and warm but haven't really had any cold weather to test em out in here in Brisbane ;)

http://www.sorel.com/Men%27s-Chesterman%E2%84%A2-Slip/NM1577_S,default,pd.html

I got the mud/wham and my brother got the light grey/chilli...

Tactic, you are best to make a trip to Kutchan and either go to the Co Op or Hardwear Store (can't remeber Name, Max Value?) and grab a pair of wellies and maybe cleates if you are concerned about the ice.

You are right Panhead, sit down and watch how many people fall over and hurt themselves in Niseko going in and out of the Seico Mart. A terrible way to end/start a holiday.

I bought a pair of these a few years back - Sorel Conquest

they are fantastically comfortable, warm and waterproof. I even wore them to drive for 2 hours and catch a 4 hour flight once when my bag was too full!.

I accept the laces make getting in and out a bit more effort, but I havent managed to slip over in them, and the insulated sole ensures warm feet if i want to stand around watching an event - theyre rated down to -40 degC

for me they are overkill, but i have used them on 4 trips now and they still look and feel like they are brand new (apart from the comfort factor - no breaking in required!)

Backcountry have them online for US$135 http://www.backcountry.com/sorel-conquest-boot-mens

SRL0036-CBBLK.jpg

Kutchan is the go the main supermarket closest to Niskeo has a department store next to it with heaps of wellies cheap.

They didn't have size 11 though so I couldn't buy any.

Seemore