How many people out there watch the Discovery Channel Deadliest Catch. We watch it regularly.

What I am interested to know IS IT WORTH THE MONEY????? Sure it would be a heck of a lot of ski trips to Japan but oh my gosh living on Energy Drinks, Cigarettes and no sleep, freezing conditions, rough seas and dicing with death everyday for $35,000+

I DON'T THINK SO!!!!!!

I used to work on a fishing trawler out in Bass Straight off Tasmania. Huge seas, lack of sleep, sea sickness, cold and wet....yep, easily the toughest job I've ever done. Full respect to these guys, even if it is dramatized for T.V.

Oh, we used to get king crabs too, but they never made it to market, the crew would always eat them first.

There is something just wrong with the whole idea of going somewhere catching crabs until there basically aren't any left and then moving on. You can see how it plays out.... gradually they start catching fewer and fewer crabs, they resist attempts to regulate the industry - because you know, its my job and my way of life and blah blah blah and then a few years down the track everyone is out of job anyway because there aren't any crabs left or they've moved on to catching a species they used to throw back and the whole process starts again. Every empty cage they bring up is a nail in the coffin of the industry! SAVE THE CRABS PEOPLE!

Its been running a few years now and was running before the North Sea one.

RD, there are quotas in place, they can only fish for a certain length of time before they have to head into Port. Mind you I dunno if this makes it any more sustainable

Sorry TB - thats wrong, it used to be timing hence the high mortality rate as they would be pushed to the edge.

Now its down on a weight quota and they have as much time as they need to do it in - think its a 2 week window instead of the 3 days?

RD - Yeah now you put it like that I don't think i will enjoy watching it as much anymore. I know that whenever they were off loading their catch I would always go make a cuppa as I didn't like how they man handled the crabs

Thats why I live on salads!!!!!!