True - last season met some guys from Oz whilst on a weekend in Hakuba - said that they were staying there for 2 months. Was taken aback when they said that but they got a cheap deal and were happy. Different strokes and all that

• 3 weeks later...

Am totally stoked as have really good mates joining me for the second 1/2 of the trip and we are booking into Hakuba from 8-17 Feb. The other guys (3 couples) have reserved rooms at the Century at Happpo One and Im happyo to go with the flow as they want ski in ski out or very close to it.

Now I just need to plan my trip from the 21st to the 8th. We are all in Tokyo for 3 days on the way home so Im thinking of only spending one there on arrival. After that Im thinking of a week in Shiga Kogen to get my skills and fitness back and another in Nozawa Onsen then heading to Hakuba. Does that make sense from a logistical sense???

Thanks guys.

Myoko is worth visiting - so the "easy circuit" is Hakuba / Shiga / Nozawa / Myoko. There are loads of interesting places to visit near all of them - check out Togakushi (not the skiing but the shrines really in the forest), Manza Onsen (an AT trip from top of Shiga only in good weather), JUM Japan Ukiyoe Museum, Zao, Seki Onsen ....... loads to do

Hugh

Originally Posted By: telehugh
Myoko is worth visiting - so the "easy circuit" is Hakuba / Shiga / Nozawa / Myoko. There are loads of interesting places to visit near all of them - check out Togakushi (not the skiing but the shines really in the forest), Manza Onsen (an AT trip from top of Shiga only in good weather), JUM Japan Ukiyoe Museum, Zao, Seki Onsen ....... loads to do

Hugh

Doing that lap in reverse, would I need a car or could I do it using buses etc.

It could all be done using buses - but if your wallet stretches a car would make life easier and allow you to get into some of the more interesting corners more easily. You can easily pick up a rental car at any major JR rail station.

That all said, if you find somewhere that you like and the snow is good then staying put is also fun. In any of those 4 locations you could spend a month and still not discover all their secrets - or where the best powder stashes are.

IMHO Nozawa has the best lift accessed off-piste - doing laps at the top on a powder day is always fun, Myoko has the best back country and typically gets the deepest snow, Hakuba the biggest mountains and Shiga the biggest ski-area.

Hugh