I received an email from the travel people I booked my trip with saying that due to the fluctuation in the Yen, my package would have to be repriced (I have already paid a deposit).

Is this something that usually happens? I'm a little confused?

Cheers

kathy.. wakaranai

Maybe best to look at the contract to see what it says.

If you're not happy with the new price, you should at least get your deposit back if the contract doesn't specifically say the price is susceptible to change.

Oh poor thing Kathy!

There may well be a lot more in your shoes in the next few weeks too I would say.

The AUS dollar has dropped against the Yen so if your price was quoted in Aussie Dollars, but the contract had a price variation clause in the small print - yup - that is all kosher. The holiday costs x dollars in Yen. So the conversion (plus % buffer/profit the company would have added) from 6 months ago will not even cover the base price - it HAS to go up.

If you had paid in full back then it would be the companies issue.

If it is a Yen price you got - then no - there shouldn't be any difference to the quote unless they are surcharging for fuel which is contrary to current trend.

I don't know if this is anything like the same, but when I go back to the UK the last few years I have paid up in full and asked them to issue tickets as soon as possible. It seems to be what I can do to try and avoid and changing prices and heard (true?) that you are more likely to have changes imposed if you have not paid in full.

Is the change big?

Good luck.

OT but I'm loving the exchange rate changes. If it stays as it is until December I will save 200,000 yen with next year's Australian university fees. And my Japan yen salary will have similar buying power at home in the UK as here when I go home for Christmas.

Exchange rates always always ALWAYS seem to work against me. I'd love to send money home now, but I don't have much to send as I did that in July (when it was quite different!)

Whenever I need to change, seems to go bad on me. Arrrggghhh!

I reckon 160-170 yen is the proper range for the pound based on prices in the two countries. At 200 plus, Britain is too expensive and 250 was just a joke. 700 yen for a pint or a sandwich on the train etc.

In australia, thru a travel company in Sydney, We paid about half our total cost in Late June, and the other half during September.

For a 12-day trip to Niseko incl. flights, transfers, accom, 9of10day Niseko lift pass; and there was/has been no changes to the original quoted price.

Exchange rates I have logged this year:

AUD$ 1.00 = JPY$ 93.98 (Yen) @ 28/01/08

AUD$ 1.00 = JPY$ 96.98 (Yen) @ 04/02/08

AUD$ 1.00 = JPY$ 99.04 (Yen) @ 24/02/08

AUD$ 1.00 = JPY$ 91.20 (Yen) @ 29/03/08

AUD$ 1.00 = JPY$ 70.72 (Yen) @ 09/10/08

AUD$ 1.00 = JPY$ 65.20 (Yen) @ 11/10/08

Originally Posted By: Mr Wiggles
I reckon 160-170 yen is the proper range for the pound based on prices in the two countries. At 200 plus, Britain is too expensive and 250 was just a joke. 700 yen for a pint or a sandwich on the train etc.

Yeah, me too. It was 165ish when I first came here. Hope it stays reasonable for a while.

Hi KF omg

You have sent my heart racing we booked in May and paid our deposit and fully paid in September. We were panicing because our taxes had increased by $200 in the 4 months. As of yet they still haven't sent us through a receipt and are not returning emails or phone calls.

I will be on the phone first thing in the morning and hope I am not in for a big shock!!

On our small print it did say that our taxes would be adjusted on final payment but nothing about drop of yen.

I hope it hasn't gone up to much for you at these times it is nice to look forward to a holiday.

R45 Yep we worked out today that our trip that was paid for in September would today be costing us $6000 more if you were going to book it today.

Thankfully our trip is locked in and we wont have any hidden price increases but friends of mine who had only paid for their airfare have been hit with a price increase of $1500 on their accomodation.

I had a hotel booked in Niseko for January (booked it in April, way early I know). Anyway, the hotel sent me a mail last week asking "if I don't mind" to pay 10% more. It was obviously a translation from Japanese and I have yet to respond to this.