I personally find gloves don't last long. My experience is that the inners (insulation) becomes compacted after a couple of seasons. When insulation compacts permanently it loses its insulative abilities and causes cold fingers. Some people are very sensitive to cold fingers and it doesn't necessarily mean the weather on that day is super cold...it is a blood circulation condition.

Originally Posted By: stemik
i have tried a very large range of gloves - and still my hands get cold!

Mits, mits, mits. You've gotta get mittens.
It makes sense really. 5 warm little fingers hudled together inside a mitten with far less external surface area than gloves will minimise that nasty cold air and moisture from penetrating.

I've had a set of Ride mits for 12 years now and I reckon they'll do 12 more. Never had cold fingers, even @ -18 deg.

Anyone use leather gloves?

are they to a same standard as Gore-tex or should I just go for the Gore-tex ones?

Mantas, you're correct that Mitts are way warmer, but I hate them. Can't do anything with them, fingers become useless and I don't wanna get ribbed for having a 3yr olds connecting string through my shoulders!! wink

Originally Posted By: Tubby Beaver

Mantas, you're correct that Mitts are way warmer, but I hate them. Can't do anything with them, fingers become useless. wink

You shouldn't be trying to pick your nose out in public anyway Tubs. lol

Seriously I don't see the problem, they come off and on in a fraction of the time that glove do.

How about those "lobster claw" mitts where the thumb and forefinger are separate, but the other three fingers are grouped together like regular mitts? I remember seeing a nice Gore-Tex set at Mont-Bell or their outlet store...

You can pick your nose or use buckles and ratchets as well as loose-finger gloves, but maintain a bit more warmth like mittens.