• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

if it is a small tatoo then most of the onsens are ok. if its a larger style tatoo then not really welcome in the onsens- best to check when you arrive.

Originally Posted By: panhead_pete
I would prefer this doesnt end up in a debate about the merits of getting tattoos but I'd like to find out if there will be any Onsens in Hakuba where I can go without causing offence due to having ink.

This is Japan. You might not "offend" people, but there is the possibility that you'll make some people uncomfortable or potentially scared. If it really concerns you that much, don't go to the onsen at all; cover your tats; or go at a quiet time.

In my opinion, times have changed. I have seen people with tats in public baths or at onsens. If you're unassuming and respectful, I don't think there's much problem.

I've been in one or two onsens were there have been yakuza soaking in them, people don't seem too bothered despite the fact they are covered in tats.

Actually I had a good conversation with one of them once, although the locals didn't appear to want to talk to him, lol!

My local ofuro place is def a Yak hang out. Full of Ojisans who just love to try and talk to me until the old yak guys come in then no one talks especially to me!!

The last time I was there was in the summer when my family were visiting, this one guy, big tats all over his bod, everybody bowed and was deferential to him, just stood up for about 10 minutes and stared right into the back of my head, I know this as I was at the shower and every time I looked in the mirror I could see him staring....def thot we were gonna get a doing...thankfully nothing happened

I wonder if Sarah Palin would be let in.

Quote:
She is the self-styled ‘Pitbull in Lipstick’ – but vice presidential candidate Sarah Palin has become the subject of a fierce debate about whether her lip-liner is really a tattoo.

The discussion was started by Left-wing pundit Arianna Huffington, who claimed in a blog that the 44-year-old governor of Alaska had had her lip-liner permanently tattooed on.

The claim has prompted huge speculation on the internet and within the mainstream media about Palin’s beauty habits.

Originally Posted By: Tubby Beaver
My local ofuro place is def a Yak hang out. Full of Ojisans who just love to try and talk to me until the old yak guys come in then no one talks especially to me!!
The last time I was there was in the summer when my family were visiting, this one guy, big tats all over his bod, everybody bowed and was deferential to him, just stood up for about 10 minutes and stared right into the back of my head, I know this as I was at the shower and every time I looked in the mirror I could see him staring....def thot we were gonna get a doing...thankfully nothing happened

probably checking out your body...
Don't bend over to pick the soap up omg
  • 2 years later...

hopefully no one minds that I bump a thread thats a few years old...

But when in Japan my best friend and I who is already living there (Niseko) want to get a tattoo in Sapporo, does anyone have any recommendations of places we could go and how we would be received, me kiwi chick and she is Korean but lived in NZ most of her life.

Thanks for your help smile

You normally don't have any problem when you go to a sento (public bath for locals), as opposed to an onsen and IMO these are much more of a cultural experience though, to be fair, you don't often find them in ski resort towns! doh