My first post, what's up dudes!

Well, I could really need some advise to make up my mind. So straight away here is what I struggle with.

Last month I decide to go to Japan but I'm not sure with what Visa - a Work and Holiday Visa (WHV) or normal tourist one. The reason I struggle is that I'm from Germany and currently in New Zealand with a WHV. To get a WHV for Japan I have to go back to Germany because the Visa can only be issued by the Japanese embassy in Germany - stupid bureaucracy I know. The main reason for me to go to Japan is the whiteroom and many friendly Japanese people I met during my travel in the last 21 month.

In Japan I would like to stay for around 6 month.

To decide that it's worth flying back to Germany and from there to Japan I need to know how hard it is to find work in the skifields or in general for someone who can not speak Japanese and how expensive Japan is in terms of food and accommodation?

So anyone, please?

It depends on where you stay, you could pick up work teaching English (I have met many non-anglo people who are teaching english) or in Tokyo you could prob get a job teaching German. Living in a big city will be easier to pick up work, prob not snow related though and you could ride on your weekends. If you choose to hit the countryside, nearer the ski-jo's then its cheaper to live but maybe harder to find work. The whole thing about Japan being super expensive is not really true. Sure it can be if you hang out in the Gaijin hot spots in Tokyo but if you look closer there are plenty places that the locals prefer that are much cheaper.

I would say that you could live for Y150,000 per month anywhere but the mega cities. Rent is cheap and will be around 60,000. Food is around 60,000 and 30,000 for travel, season passes, small purchases. Add 50,000 for gear in the first month if you dont have it.

You should be able to find a cleaning job pretty easy. Also hitting up a place that doesnt offer english services might get you a cheap bed in the basement of a place. My mate did this but hes pretty hardy

If you don't have a visa that allows you to work is not that easy to find a job even teaching English.

Also, if I remember well, companies/schools can't sponsor a visa for non-natives to teach English. i.e. they can sponsor you to teach German but not to teach English. Most non-natives teaching English in Japan that I know are doing it on a spouse visa, or another kind of visa.

If you want to work in Japan or stay longer 90 days take the safest route which is to go back to Germany and get the working holiday visa, that way when you are in Japan it'll be much easier for you to find a job. Even at the ski hills.

Thanks for the helpful feedback!

I figured that to fly to Japan over Germany would coast me around 150,000 Yen more than direct from New Zealand. Quite a bit to get work permission, I would say. On the other hand as wattiewatson sad that money would last only a month in Japan.

To the area I would go snowboarding. Well many New Zealanders told my that Niseko/Sapporo would be the place to go. Mainly because of the tourists from overseas and therefore the need for English speaking workers. Not sure how true that is. Any idea how expensive these areas are? But since I'm interested in the culture and meeting some locals I take other recommendations!

Oh and coldcat, I can extend my normal Visa for another 3 months when I'm in Japan. But yeah going back to Germany would be the safest way I agree.