A Season in Niseko, Powder Snowboard Needed?

Originally Posted By: Kumapix
oh, and forward lean does not have any effect on powder riding & legburn

R U serious?

Originally Posted By: Niseko Instructor, wooooohoooo
Anyone that suffers from serious leg burn in pow is probably not used to riding with large amounts of forward lean - as is my normal style of riding as it provides for fast edge to edge response, and equips the rider with significant knee bend allowing a low centre of gravity, and lots of room for impact absorbsion through either up or down un-weighting.

summed up nicely by NIwoooooohoooooo
  • Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally Posted By: tsondaboy
oh, and forward lean does not have any effect on powder riding & legburn

R U serious?

Anyone that suffers from serious leg burn in pow is probably not used to riding with large amounts of forward lean - as is my normal style of riding as it provides for fast edge to edge response, and equips the rider with significant knee bend allowing a low centre of gravity, and lots of room for impact absorbsion through either up or down un-weighting.

summed up nicely by NIwoooooohoooooo

yes I am serious.
lets look at niseko instructors points:
fast edge to edge response --- nothing to do with back leg burn
low centre of gravity------ditto
lots of room for impact absorbsion ----- ditto

back leg burn comes from putting your weight on your back leg to keep the nose of your board up in pow. with a tapered board, your weight is naturally on the back of the board eliminating the need to keep your weight on the back leg. you ride with your weight centred and that's that
you ride with your weight centred and that's that

exactly!

and with a longer tapered shaped board you ride leaning forward NOT centered.

It has lots to do with how it effects powder riding and NIwooohooo describes it nicely.
Its a different way of riding and a mater of preference.

I also have forward lean on the bindings. razz

And also lean forward on the board with my weight more on the front leg rather than centered.

If we are talking about the angle of the highback, then I have to admit it has no effect on rear leg burn or maybe actually worsens it since you are forced to a squat position. I still like to have a few degrees on the highback though, I find that the board responds faster.

Intermediate advanced riders do better with a normal board. They are going to be riding in-bounds most of the time, so a powder board is completely unnecessary. I know hhnz has already decided to buy a powder board. He must have the budget so it's ok, but if someone else reads this thread and is facing the same questions my sincere advice is to spend the money instead on a good pair of goggles, gear to keep them warm/dry, etc... They are going to appreciate it much more.

From what I am used to read about kumapix in these forums he is a really experienced rider both inbouds and in the B.C. He is the kind of guy who can make the most of a powder board, but for intermediate people who are coming to Japan and read about lots of powder and all that stuff they should know that they'll be O.K. without a powder board. If you don't know how to ride powder I doubt a powder board is going to change that anyway, so you might as well spend some energy and time in learning the in and outs of snowboarding first, and then head for the more advanced gear.

I just remembered the first time I went to niseko. They guy at the hostel tried to convinced me that I needed to rent a longer board from him because the powder is so deep in niseko that with my own board I would be helpless.

Originally Posted By: coldcat
I just remembered the first time I went to niseko. They guy at the hostel tried to convinced me that I needed to rent a longer board from him because the powder is so deep in niseko that with my own board I would be helpless.

lol exactly the same thing happened to me!

The guy was trying to convince me to rent a nitro gun, which is too big even for my taste now.

if someone else reads this thread and is facing the same questions my sincere advice is to spend the money instead on a good pair of goggles, gear to keep them warm/dry, etc... They are going to appreciate it much more.

how about a good pair of boots.

On that subject actually, I'm in the market for a new pair of gloves BUT all of the ones in my local shop just seem like Supermarket crap. Any brands out their that people would recommend? Also, I'm all confused about what lens colour I should be looking for when goggle shopping

For Japan I prefer orange or yellow, because low visibility days are relatively commom, and because of the 'nighta'.

Last year I tried Gold colored and they also worked well in low visibility.

This year I am thinking of buying a pair of Oakley Crowbar or A-Frame, with golden tint or VTR28 (which is sort of pink), that's because they are sort of for all kind of conditions and I have sensitive eyes to light, but orange or yellow is the best for low visibility or night skiing, if you are not too sensitive to light.

coldcat, yeah, i've got the budget for a Discount board only.

I now have burton boots and think that the lacing system is great.

But i really hate the burton bindings and couldnt find one which is acceptable. They seems fragile.

Also, the 3-hole or the new ELS(?) system on the board is making me crazy. But there is no good alternative for a tapered board out in the market and i have very limited choices.

Originally Posted By: hknz
btw, would it help to ride powder if one can masters up un-weight and down un-weight skill?

Just keep your body weight on the back of your board and let your instinct kick in. The more you practice the better you'll get at it.
For Japan I prefer orange or yellow, because low visibility days are relatively commom, and because of the 'nighta'.

Last year I tried Gold colored and they also worked well in low visibility.

Thanks Coldcat. I'm goggle shopping too. Which of those tints would alter the natural colours of the landscape the least? Obviously vis is priority one, but I hate feeling like I'm on Mars.

Riding with lots of forward lean means that you have very bent legs. When riding pow, and lean over your back leg, you bend you back leg more than your front. This mimics the postion of one's leg when you ride with lots of forward lean. This is to say that the same muscle groups are used, and thus these muscles are used to the sensation that is created riding in pow with the weight over your back foot. I don't wish to pantronise but does my explanation make more sense now? I thought i had implioed this last time, my apologies.

If I read you correctly, you're only eliminating leg burn by making those muscles stronger in the first place and raising your 'leg burn' threshold. What I'm talking about is not having to put strain on your back leg at all. The energy that you would have spent on leaning back is then used in smoother turns, stronger slashes, etc

OT?

Have to report in for work nov 27th. staff accom opens nov 24th, might role in to town a couple earlier than that and rent a room. Want to catch first day of the season. Nov 23rd last year (?) any ideas what day that will be this season?

who else is gonna be in town?

OT?

If by OT? you are asking what it is....OT = Off Topic

but yeah....I reckon it is pretty much on or nearabouts on topic!

Have fun Niseko Instructor, woooooohoooo.
I like instructors - personally never had a bad one - best investment you can make in MHO.