advice wanted please! best hill for feb 09, and how to find accom

Hi. I'm new to the forum and looking for as much advice as I can get! I usually ski in Europe (last 2 seasons at Chamonix), but am about to take off to travel around asia for the next 5 months. I plan to spend Feb in Japan looking for nice powder, aggressive runs, and a little night life.

First, how expensive is gear?

I can't bring mine with me. I am a very aggressive skier/snowboarder (mostly off piste and randonnee). I just bought new randonnee gear last year, but need a new snowboard.... How do prices in Japan compare to the US for example? I'm in the states at the moment, so should I be trying to buy a board here before I go? Or what about when I am in China? Neither option would be as convenient as buying in Japan, so if gear is reasonably priced in local shops (or Tokyo even) that would be my pref. And do I also need to budget for avalanche gear, or not as much of a risk in Japan? Duplicate ava gear may just put me over the edge-- it's already bad enough having to buy dup snowboard pants, boots and bindings.

Second, any advice on where I should go?

I've been reading the related threads, and Niseko and/or Furano sound promising. I won't have a car and Niseko sounds like you may need one. I think both resorts may be smaller than what I am used to?? Is that an issue? One option could be to divide my time between resorts, tho it's nicer to get into a grove and have regular folks to go up the hill with.

Lastly, any tips on how to find a place to stay?

I could hostel it (have seen the mixed opinions about the Lodge Bamboo)-- if nothing else would be a good way to meet people to go up the hill with (and go drinking with!). Or should I be looking for a room to rent with/from seasonaires for the month? Without a car I get the sense that Bamboo may be my best bet for Niseko. For Furano i've been looking at Alpine Backpackers. Any thoughts/suggestions on where else to look?

many many thanks in advance for any and all opinions shared!

For cheap accomodation in Furano, you are on the button with Alpine Backpackers. It is about 60 seconds walk from the Gondola. Other cheap options would be to try and find a cheap/free room in exchange for some work.

Snowboards are cheap in Tokyo, but avie gear is over the top expensive.

Best to buy a beacon in the states.

Last year we had 15 dead from avalanches if that says something.

If you are as aggressive as you claim, I would suggest Hakuba, otherwise Niseko would be fine. wink

evilgrin

anybody got a can of worms opener?

Not ur fault grrrl, but the Niseko/Hakuba comparison has a long history on these forums.

Given what I have read from u, sounds like H may suit ur style more than N (except for the night life). Loads of reviews/pics of both on here for you to make a decision.

Whichever u choose, good luck n have fun n Tsonda is right re the Avie gear.

There's been a lot of Hakuba vs. Niseko banter but basically it's like this - Niseko is famous for light dry powder but it's not very steep and the options for backcountry are limited. I'd still choose Niseko over Hakuba personally for early season and the light dry snow is incredible but Hakuba has more to offer overall and in February it dumps like crazy in both places anyway. The other thing about Hakuba is that it's on the main island of Honshu so it's relatively easy to go to big cities (ie Tokyo), not to mention other ski areas in other parts of Nagano prefecture. It's more developed over all but the actual mountain range on which the ski areas sit is serious and really beautiful too. There's enough to keep you busy for a month in Hakuba for sure.

Here are some good pics from Hakuba. Or do a search or check out Kumapix's pics.

Backcountry near Niseko limited ger?? Mate we have snow to sea level! Beside the resorts it's all backcountry!! Plus you have to be one really serious skier not to find anything around Niseko challenging. Most of the talk that Niseko is flat is either by those who have not explored all the mountain or those that can only get their kicks skiing 40+ degree slopes (very few of the skiing public out there).

bakcountrygrrl not sure where you got the idea that you'd need a car in Niseko? There's a free shuttle bus to get you around Hirafu village and between all the resorts (if you don't want to ski over to them) and there's a free night bus into Kutchan (the nearby town). What were you planning on doing with a car?

Without doubt the Hakuba area has more resorts, larger mountains and vast backcountry options. This year will also see a massive increase in the amount of foreigners going there. Niseko does have great backcountry options (a car would help to access some of those) and without doubt has the best apres ski options of any resort in Japan. Bucket loads of foreigners here (not just Aussies) too but Kutchan is easily accessible if you want to escape the hordes for a fun night out with locals.

Whichever you choose you'll have a great time I'm sure! thumbsup

SC mate long time no see, whats your plans for this season?

on topic:

There has been great debate in the past regarding which is better.

I am planing to be in Niseko for Xmass and Hakuba over new years.

From a totally personal view, I prefer Niseko over Hakuba in January-February and the other way around from March till the end of the season.

backcountrygrrl, let me know when you have decided where you are going to end up :]

I am now looking at places to stay in niseko, furano, hakuba. (since im staying three month i might have time with more than one place)

and are you into hiking? 8-)

I vote for Hakuba. Better terrain, lots of snow, and more variety.

I am not saying Niseko is not good. I love it. But if I have to choose between Hakuba or Niseko, Hakuba has more to offer.

If you can visit both. And if you do go to Hokkaido make sure you hit the other resorts apart from Niseko. Furano is really beautiful and has very good snow. Asahidake is amazing, cold and deep. Hokkaido has much more to offer than just Niseko.

Originally Posted By: Go Native
Backcountry near Niseko limited ger?? Mate we have snow to sea level! Beside the resorts it's all backcountry!! Plus you have to be one really serious skier not to find anything around Niseko challenging. Most of the talk that Niseko is flat is either by those who have not explored all the mountain or those that can only get their kicks skiing 40+ degree slopes (very few of the skiing public out there).

I like Niseko and I'm always there to defend poor old Niseko when the crew starts beating on her. GN, have you been to Hakuba?

Hi Tsonda,

plans are to ride early, away from resorts often, use splits, take the 2nd part of the avie class, and practice some rescue techniques. This should keep me busy. :-) To be honest given the current market turmoil, I have not been thinking much in terms fo planning. The good thing about being busy is that winter is here before you know it.

Man, quick reply. You are full time on the forums :-).

I ordered the split, not sure when I will get it. I have shamelessly never gotten around to doing Tateyama. I always want to do it and invariably work or health issues have popped up every time. Let's see what happens this year...

Not full time but a lot! razz

We will probably do Fuji again when there is enough snow to ski down to 5-ko-me. Order yourself a pair of spark bindings with the split, if you haven't done already!

What split did you get, Prior, Never Summer, Voile, Venture, Nitro etc?