Originally Posted By: Go Native
Sounds like an awesome trip. I haven't skied Tomamu yet myself but looks like some good terrain.
I just don't want people thinking that Niseko is still just a town of Aussie yobs. It's moved on a little from those days thumbsup

biggrin
Yeah...there's little old ME wave
And I am perfectly behaved wink
  • Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Keeping with the title of this post .. has anyone been to ClubMed place at Sahoro?

At over A$6K for a family of four ... not exactly budget price but the all inclusive arrangement might just guarantee pleasing a somewhat reluctant wife and two very young kids who thinks that Dad is taking them to Perisher in Feb! :-)

Originally Posted By: Alx
....two very young kids who thinks that Dad is taking them to Perisher in Feb! :-)

rollabout
Love it - done like only a child can!!

Alx we had friend book for this coming Feb, but I heard they were considering cancelling - not sure why. If I get some first hand info I shall let you know.

Reasons we would try it at Club Med Sahoro:
We have done the all inclusive cruise thing and really enjoyed it.
Never been to a Club Med and always wanted to 'tick that box'.
The idea of an exclusive mountain sounds nice - no weekend crowds...
Cost is realatively fixed before you go.

Reasons why we havent:
Niseko is beckoning..
We dont like being on other peoples programmes - rather go with the flow and do our own thing.
Heard that they wont allow children under 12 snowboard (WHOA! Big red flag there!)
Also go few concerns about limited terrain - but that is just what I heard from others who also havent been there.

Sorry I cant be more helpful.

mate of mine from west oz goes here , stays at the sahoro resort hotel , tells me he is the only gaigin in the hotel [ unlike club med ] . tells me nobody about on the ski slopes ? i am going up there in jan so will report back . while in this area will go to tomamu as well .

Hmm... unless somebody tells me that ClubMed is undergoing some disruptive renovation, seem like a safe bet for the first trip to Japan with a four and six year old.

What's sold me, is the unlimited ski lessons for 4 to 50 year olds!..

dump the kids and not have to worry for the day. Can even leave the wife with the beginners so that I can have some fun in the powder snow.. maybe give boarding a go - been warned about painful falls by learners in Oz (ice?!) but should be softer over there?! ;-)

biri.. what's the main attraction at tomamu?

tomamu is a purpose built ski resort for mainly well to do japanese and asian visitors .

a furano resident told me " worth a day visit , steep on top , very flat at the bottom , great facilities and hotels . some seasons it can be icy due to the base snow not settling in properly " [ whatever that means? ] .

from sahoro you are very close to tomamu , they must do day visits ?

we are going to both sahoro and tomamu in mid january , hope to have more details then . snowjapan have some good reviews on both resorts from independent skiers and boarders .

my kids [ been skiers for 5 years ] took up boarding this year at falls creek ,

they prefer boarding now to sking . i am a skier but have to agree with them as its about half the weight your dragging about plus comfy boots . been sking myself for 33 years now , too old to change .

The comfy boots are indeed a bonus biri island.

Especially when they are fitted with BOA laces and you can loosen them off for the hike up the hill tighten them to just tight enough not to twist you ankle getting off the lift in the lift queue, and then crank them down hard just before descent. Gotta love the flexibility smile

yes if i were young i would give snow boarding a go . if it was'nt for the new carvers and fatter type skies , we skiers might of ended up like the doo doo bird !!!!!!!!!!!! bring back the tellies

mama that will stir em up . your pics in niseka are great .

58 years and that first 3 days of learning agony , maybe a broken wrist or thumb [ common boarder injuries ] , no thanks .

still japan must be great for beginners ? in both sking and boarding

at falls c. my kids instructor was meg or megumie from nagano prefecture . great instructor . i hired wrist guards for the kids but they never used them , said they just get in the way ?

Im not keen on wrist guards either.

fair enough to pass on the agony of learning at 58 mate. As I sit here popping pain meds I can fully relate wink

So far my only injuries(snowboarding) have been:

**Bruises - (particularly on my knees from getting up over and over)

**sore neck after getting knocked flat by an out of control skier.

**twisted knee when my goofy footed child kicked his board into mine as he got on the lift and I got it dragged under the seat as we took off (not fun - got over it in a few days with drugs)

I have landed on my hands a fair few times and felt discomfort at the time, and worried about the wrist - but never had anything that bothered me the next day.

I face planted epically at Thredbo last week - due to the unexpected sink into the slush (caught the toe edge - WHAM!) - and it was just lucky it was SO slushy cos I embedded my face in the snow - if it was icey it would have been ugly!

Only injuries I've had in 23 years of skiing were a dislocated shoulder and once I was also skiing without gloves, fell forward and the steel edge of the ski sliced a 6 inch cut in my palm. That's it!

Originally Posted By: Go Native
Only injuries I've had in 23 years of skiing were a dislocated shoulder and once I was also skiing without gloves, fell forward and the steel edge of the ski sliced a 6 inch cut in my palm. That's it!

Good going GN.
Hope I can look back in 20 years and have a fairly short list as well.

yeah we were at thredbo last year and its a funny place , top of the super trail its like ice skating then the middle parts really good , then at the bottom it turns to water sking [ just near kosie express ].

saw a wombat come out in a blizzard between sponars and antons ?

every skier takes one run too many and it happened to me in nz , took a tumble in the harris mts. and a ski came back and belted me in the back of the head ' no helmets those days . i wear one now .

Since getting a few bumps and injuring my knee I've come to accept the gospels of pads and guards. Broken wrist is the most common injury for snow boarders. When you fall most people insticntively try to catch themselves with they're hands and snap goes the wrist. I still do that, fortunately I haven't broken anything. They are a semi-hassle since they restrict your movement by design, but worth it IMO.

Level Snowboard gloves...

BiomeX protection works very well without restricting movement - Way to go.

Only exception : If you fall on your wrist and it get's caught between your body and hard icy condition. Did that, but it could have been worse, mine was just a simple fracture.

Papa uses the Level gloves with in built wrist guards - swears by them.

I reckon part of my problem with them is that I communicate with my hands - even if there is no one deaf in cooee. For me, wearing wrist guards feels a bit like talking after having had major dental work done and you cant form the words properly. Bizarre I know - but it just feels like that for me.