Mamabear - my sister does the accounts part time for a small company in Perth. She says that her boss takes the family to Japan every year/frequently. I can't help but feel that you must be part of that well organised family ! :-)

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally Posted By: seemore
Hi MB

I reckon you have shares is Niseko you make it all sound so good we all swing towards staying there.
Not that I am complaining It should be awesome.

Seemore

lol
Nah seemore. Just a satisfied customer!
Would like to buy something in Niseko, but we have to find a happy medium between something we like/big enough and what we can afford given our other committments. One day smile

Could be worth discussing over a few quiet ones this Xmas

As accomodation is expensive and GN reckons you can buy a place quiet cheap.

I just hope wife gets into it I know the kids will.

It's not cheap right in the resort itself (as you'd expect) but you only have to go 5-10 minutes away and the price drops dramatically. And 2nd hand cars are only about a 3rd of the cost here compared to Aus.

Hey everyone,

I'm heading to Japan for the first time in the end of Nov with a friend of mine (we're both 22) and we're hitting all the usual places (tokyo, Kyoto, Osaka etc) but we decided to spend the last 3 days skiing, since neither of us have ever seen snow. I've done a bit of investigating and it seems like the best places for us (on Honshu) are Shiga Kogen, Nozawa, Naeba and Myoko. The problem is we'll be there on the 1st dec - 4th. Some of these places say their seasons start mid nov, but i was just wondering if anyone had any advice as to which would be the best bet for us? like which place was better for early snow and for two beginners etc.

Thanks, any help would be greatly appreciated!

romy, haro wave

Early December = not really proper season yet, though places might be open just dont expect it to be full on.

In fact, check out the daily reports from those days in previous seasons in the places you mention here. It might not make the most pleasing reading for you, but at least it is what has actually happened and what has been open.

http://www.snowjapan.com/e/daily/shiga-kogen-now.php

http://www.snowjapan.com/e/daily/nozawa-now.php

http://www.snowjapan.com/e/daily/naeba-now.php

http://www.snowjapan.com/e/daily/myoko-now.php

I always feel that people generally get carried away with the when the season starts talk. I can totally understand excitement, I enjoy it myself, but the places open and doing well in late Novemnber/early December are very few and far between. For the majority of places, and for the majority of people, mid-late December is more realistic. The early excitement and expectations almost always ends in disappointment. All un-necessary wink

Thanks for your quick replies! i think we'll be overjoyed to actually see/touch snow, so even if only one or two of the courses are open it'll be good. I think i'm leaning towards Shiga Kogen at this point, which seems to have more regular snow for the dates we'll be there. Next time we'll plan for a lot more time on the slopes and safely within the seasons!

Anyway, thanks again

Mamabear, unfortunately my sis is not Kylie. :-)

She works for a mining venture company.

Hmm.. a friend from Brisbane was saying that every second person he knows (who likes skiing) goes to Japan and NZ.

Suspect it's the same situation in Perth... probably cost less to go overseas than head to ski fields in VIC and NSW ?! :-)

It used to be like - it's expensive to go skiing in Oz so might as well go to NZ cos it was cheaper and better .

Now, NZ is friggin' expensive, too.

Accommodation is getting expensive in Oz, regardless of snow or not. Could get a decent motel room for 50 bucks 2 years ago and the following year it was like 70~80.

Romy262. Just wait until closer to the date and see which area has the most snow. You will be able to pretty much book into anywhere just before you go so there is no real need to plan. Just plan to be around the area you want to go. There is still plenty to see and do around Nagano.

If your going to be in Niseko then you've got a huge area to enjoy. The all mountain pass lets you ski Grand Hirafu, Niseko Village and Annupuri ski areas. For some nearby day trips you can consider Moiwa and Rusutsu. Plenty of backcountry as well and if the weather is fine and clear you may even consider an ascent of Mt Youtei. Plenty of terrain to keep you occupied.

after niseko you guys will never go to australia , then on second thoughts norway has a bigger problem with alcohol then us [ oslo experience 70s/80s ]

take a look at the powderhounds website , they will give you an unbiased view of hokkaido ski resorts .

then hire a van and get going .

dont take offence gn or i will let jinxey out of the box .

never been to niseko but we have our flights and accommodation booked for niseko hirafu in early march . on my laptop show page i have a pic of a skier in a maroon ski jacket comming down under the ace quad i think , snow is rushing out behind him / her . mate i cannot wait to get there . if you check my reply to gareth from perth i have just about sold him a trip to niseko , well i costed the trip anyway ?

in jan we will fly to asahikawa , hire a van and visit kamui / furano / asahidake / sahoro / tomamu / pippu etc . most aussies just vist one place , i hope to open up hokkaido to them .

Sounds like an awesome trip. I haven't skied Tomamu yet myself but looks like some good terrain.

I just don't want people thinking that Niseko is still just a town of Aussie yobs. It's moved on a little from those days thumbsup