Hi everyone, I'm planning first trip to Japan for January 2009 and it'll only be our second time on skis (first time was a really small resort in Lebanon a few years ago)! Also we'll be with our 6 year old son who's only seen the snow once in his life. Here's what we're looking for:

1. A smallish resort where we won't get too embarrassed by our inability to stand up, ski, stop........

2. Somewhere where our son can build snowmen, throw snowballs and sledge in relative peace and quiet

3. A little bit of nightlife of the very very low key variety

4. Reasonably priced family friendly accommodation

I've read lots of the great info on this site but my brain just won't take any more so any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Oh and we plan to come for 4-5 days and don't know where we'll fly into (possibly Tokyo) and if it's a resort that we could catch a Shinkensen to then my son would just be in heaven.

TIA

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• SnowJapan Admin

Hello firstimer and welcome wave

I'm sure you'll get responses from the community, but straight away these pages on the site might be a good basic introduction to things:

http://www.snowjapan.com/e/start-here.html

http://www.snowjapan.com/e/general/winter-sports-in-japan-introduction.html

(That Search link near the top should be a help as these questions have been asked before - if you have a few days to spare, there's a lot of reading!)

Good luck!

First timer, hop on the Sapporo express, CX580, take the bus from the terminal and it'll take you straight to the resort.

Niseko is a great place for first timers and families. From HK, it's very very easy to get to. Enjoy.

For Hokkaido your main choices are Furano and Niseko. Both are easily accesed from New Chitose Airport in Hokkaido by a direct bus service. Furano is also service by Asahikawa Airport, the resort being only 60 minutes away by bus.

There are hundreds of resorts in Japan. You can't research them all...its info overload. Either decide Japan mainland (Honshu) or Hokkaido. An then narrow it down from there.

Niseko is very westernised and over run by Australians, and has the reputation of being a party town. Communication in English is no problem.

Furano is a good destination for families due to its less party atmosphere, it tends to attract families and the more mature crowd. As Furano is actually a vibrant Japanese town you get a real cultural experience as well.

• 10 months later...
  • SnowJapan Admin

Hi Alx and welcome to the Forums. friend

As you might expect there is a seasonal thing going on and there is more traffic just before and during the winter months than the rest of the year. But there's also a large and growing number of people who visit throughout the year which increases every year.

It seems like firstimer posted once with a few questions and that was in October last year, before last season. Long-time regulars generally seem to appreciate people coming back with a thank you or more comments after they have spend their own time kindly answering those newscomers questions. My guess is that is what Mamabear was referring to.

hey Alx, as SJ says, there are a lot of 1 post heroes when the snow season starts to approach but for the most part there is a large year round community that posts on here. Of course we like to help out as much as poss, giving some hard won local info if we can. Come in ask afew questions and hang around, its a fun place to be!

thumbsup

hey ALX - when you look at this forum, it is indeed quiet in here during the summer months, now Autumn is coming, we are getting more and more excited.

stick around - you might pick up some new info, advice or some cheap equipment.

Thanks all for your replies ... confirming what I had suspected.

Yes, definitely a good find, this site ... I enjoy going through most of the posting even if it's a few years old. The details about skiing in Japan has removed the initial 'fear of the unknown' .. to something I realistically feel I can achieve with the young ones.

I found this particular posting relevant because I haven't seen too many detailed family (with very young children) trip experiences to Japan. My kids are relatively young being under seven years of age, the Mrs also doesn't appear to be particularly interested in the snow too ... but I'm not giving up just yet to introduce the kids to this 'winter wonderland' in Japan.

So, let me continue to come back with more questions in separate postings.

BTW, Great community, and I can see myself visiting this site regularly as I work towards Canada in 2011/2012.

Alx the vast bulk of people now visiting Niseko would be families and many of them with young children. It's a great resort for first time visitors to Japan skiing and there's great ski school programs for kids and adults alike. Everything is very easy to organise in English and many who've started in Niseko later go on to explore other parts of Japan. It's also pretty easy to spend say a week up here then fly to Osaka/Tokyo and head out and do another few days or more of seeing temples in Kyoto and all that other cultural stuff that people seem to like. Personally when I go on a ski holiday I go to ski, if there's any culture involved then that's just a bonus cheers

Originally Posted By: SJForums
Hi Alx and welcome to the Forums. friend

As you might expect there is a seasonal thing going on and there is more traffic just before and during the winter months than the rest of the year. But there's also a large and growing number of people who visit throughout the year which increases every year.

It seems like firstimer posted once with a few questions and that was in October last year, before last season. Long-time regulars generally seem to appreciate people coming back with a thank you or more comments after they have spend their own time kindly answering those newscomers questions. My guess is that is what Mamabear was referring to.

Ohh sorry if it sounded a bit rude/short - was not intended as you say SJForums.
I was checking in before heading off for the last of (believe me it certainly seemed like the last of) the season in Thredbo for the weekend.
Back now(hello reality eyes )....replied to some of Alx's questions in another thread.

OH SJForums...I think I have been unclear in my wording again. LOL.

I meant...it was as you said.

I was pointing out that Firsttimer was a one time poster, and that Alx wouldnt likely get an answer. My response to him was a bit short - and that was because I was getting reasy to leave. I should have answered some of his queries as well as stating the obvious.

Methinks Mamabear needs some sleep - she has been a Beer Hag all weekend doh lol

How was Thredders on the weekend MB

A bit bear(pardon the pun) down low I imagine?

Guthega, Smiggins & most of the Ridge have closed over at Perisher

GoNative - Thanks for the feedback about Niseko ... right or wrongly.. I had the impression that it is not suitable for families with young kids... must have seen it on another thread.

Mamabear .. I was at Thredbo on the last weekend of August (just after the final big snow dump), but most of it got blown away because that was followed by some pretty strong winds. Unfortunately for a young school girl, who died when she went into a tree .. personally I would have put it down to those crazy winds that day, whilst under the pressure of being in a race meet. Poor girl - she was from my local area private school.

Hmm... to keep to my original questions ....

Mamabear ... can see that your whole family board .. did you transport all of them from Oz? Did you make any purchase or rented in Japan? I imagine the kids clothings were often handed down? Rebel sports are now having discounts on their jackets, which could be good buy here... but I do wonder how they compare in Japan if the Yen stays at 80 or 0.8 to the dollar (I'm clearly not good with currencies)?

Alx - I was in Thredders at the same time (24th to 30th August) - yep that wind was something else huh?

Yes we transported boards and gear from Aus to Niseko.

3 snowboard bags and 3 suitcases for 6 people. Two boards/boots and helmets in each board bag, and half a suitcase for each person. We did get hit with excess baggage on the way home, but I bought a fair amount of Bento boxes/cooking gear, and the kids cut sick buying up half of Harajuku. We have fixed the problem by getting ourselves Qantas Club membership so we have an extra 20kg to play with.

We bought a few things in ski shops in Tokyo (mostly snow toys and a short trick snowboard) but this coming December we are going virtually gearless and buying new (yes it was that good).

Our kids have handed some stuff down, but the reality now is that our 17, 16 and 12 year old all wear the same size as thier Dad - so very little handing down going on ... just a lot of raiding Dad's wardrobe.

Mamabear - I get the impression that you travel heaps with the family .. coming out to the snowy mtns more than once this season??

So you're saying that you find the boards are well priced and offer good variety, enough to justify the extra effort of transporting back?

For the good buy, do you buy from ski shops set up by Aussies? I know at least two that advertised their shop in Niseko, while I was at Cooma recently.

BTW, what are the air prices that you'd normally pay to Niseko? Must be a fraction more than if you're flying out of Sydney, I imagine.

Travel heaps...umm yes. Nowdays. In the past it was a very different story, but we have done the hard yards and are reaping some of the rewards while we can. Had 3 trips to Thredbo this year - a week with the family, a week with the girls and a 3 day weekend with my hubby.

Yes, the prices are competitive - rows and rows of ski shops means that of they are not competitive they get no business. Cheap - maybe not. Fair - absolutely. And the range is impressive - especially for those used to Cooma or Jindy offerings. Or worse still PERTH!

We have only bought replacement gloves, face masks etc in Niseko. We shop for gear in Tokyo. I havent shopped at Rhythm in Niseko - only in Cooma (got a nice green snow angel top last month).

Air prices - yeah well they have gone UP since last we went to Japan. I am pretty sure our flights cost us $1600 return including internal flights each....but dont quote me ...Id have to pull out the booking to be sure.

Originally Posted By: Alx
GoNative - Thanks for the feedback about Niseko ... right or wrongly.. I had the impression that it is not suitable for families with young kids... must have seen it on another thread.

er ... what?

thursday - I meant ... thanks for the balance view about Niseko .. and those from others as well.

I'm now tending towards Niseko ... especially since I struggle with foreign languages.. and not particularly good at getting a point across any other way. ;-)