Hey guys moved to Japan for 12 months and got here 2 weeks ago, Im bored as hell waiting for some powder. I live in Yamanashi, anyone else from this area and wanna hit up Kofu this weekend - a know a great club there called The Vault if anyones interested.. you can also help me find a place to buy fireworks and snow gear! groovy

Enjoy the autumn, thats what I say!

I know many people who came here "for 1 year". I think most are still here, many more after that one. I wonder if you might be the same Josh wink

dude me and girl are going to tokyo this next weekend shes picking up one of her girlfriends from the airport. you busy? wouldnt mind getting some snow gear and a few things, where abouts in tokyo you at? we are booking the hotel tommorow night

J how can you be bored already you have only been there 2 weeks. Get all your sightseeing done now so that when the POW comes you can just travel around all the slopes boarding all day and all night.

Life is still same old same old on the Gold Coast warming to 30o for the weekend. We will be off in the boat all weekend!!!!!

Josh...you gotta LIVE the day mate! Can't sit around waiting for the fun to come to find you - go find it...there is masses to see and do in Japan - heck I could spend a month in Tokyo and still be scaring the locals with my great big wide open gaijin ice blue eyes drinking it all in!!

You sound like my kids did today - "I'm bored!" - that is kid code for entertain me I am too lazy to do it for myself! Ohh I entertained them alright - sent them wakeboarding - I reckon they might sleep tonight.

Go find your adventure! You a big boy!

Guys im in shimobe in yamanashi. population of 456. There is no one here. I mean no one. its a small town in the mountains. Dont get me wrong its beautiful but im in the middle of nowhere, my gf got a job from the government teaching english so i decided to come along. Ill post some pics tommorow so you get a fair idea of where im at, all i can do is put these 100 yen coins in the machine and smack every last kirin I can out of it.

One might wonder why you actually went to live in such a place if you knew it was so remote and there is nothing there. Were you not prepared for that?

Have you got a bike?

Is there no local bar where the locals gather?

Have you made any friends?

Personally I reckon I'd love it. I'd get a car and do some total investigations.

Good luck!

Dude there is no bar or clubs or shops.. Theres no houses only these little shacks that are falling apart. Why did I come here? I guess because Im in love of 6 years. And no not married yet. I didnt WANT to live in this place but I have no choice, at this point in time I have to. We have to take a 65min train ride every 3rd day to get food. Belive me theres other places in Japan I would love to be, but at the moment Im dealing with the cards dealt.

Sounds like a perfect opportunity to truly get to know yourself. Sounds wanccy I know, but if you're successful you'll never be bored again. Climb a mountain and observe, consider and digest. Stay for hours. Go whenever your lady's at work. Ask yourself questions. Any questions. Answer as yourself, or someone else, or as an animal/plant. Contemplate flight, what's underground, geology, burrows, abandoned nests, winter food.

Re-create historical events in your mind's eye. Choose actual pieces of ground where people walked, fell, hunted whatever 1000 years ago. What would you have done? What seasonal/weather challenges would you have had to deal with. Choose your cover/lookout/store/bed. Build the story each day in the same spot. Time to move? Why? Where? What's better? What's worse?

Don't be embarrassed. It's only you.

Trust me. It takes a long time, but it works.

If I was you, I would probably take the train to Shizuoka every day to go surfing.

Why don't you look for an English teaching job in Shizuoka or Kofu?

In Tokyo, if you are able commute in less that 1 hour you are considered privileged.

It sounds like your missus got a job on the JET programme, as I understand it they rarely send ALT's into the urban areas, as a big thing for that programme is the cultural exchange, allowing country people to meet foreign people. I'd bet you are the only 2 gaijin for miles around!! How far away from Shizuoka city are you? Thats a pretty cool city, not as big as Tokyo of course but plenty bars and shops etc. The countryside around your area is awesome, get yourself a bike and start pedalling. Explore the area on foot, interact with the locals. See where the nearest Japanese lessons are, most town halls offer free lessons. You may have to travel a bit though considering the size of your town. Just get in amongst it Josh

He's "bored as hell waiting for some powder" - so am I!

OK, Josh, not the most exciting place you've ended up, but you have time and freedom, and you are with your gf who I hope's looking after you. Make the most of it all!

I'm in Shizuoka too though I suspect somewhere a little more populated!

But I love being in the countryside and not in a big city. I say enjoy it, get a bike a camera and explore. I'm sure there is a lot to find out there.

Originally Posted By: Joshstar
Hey guys moved to Japan for 12 months and got here 2 weeks ago, Im bored as hell waiting for some powder. I live in Yamanashi, anyone else from this area and wanna hit up Kofu this weekend - a know a great club there called The Vault if anyones interested.. you can also help me find a place to buy fireworks and snow gear! groovy

Considering you have time till winter:

you have the time and the environment, spend some time studying the language and speak to those grannys and granpas. Why not make the most of your time and get something outta it? The more proficient you become, the more you will get outta your experiences here in Japan.

as others said, get a mtn bike, even if its a POS and see whats out there. I love the countryside of Japan, but typically hate big cities. 'sides it will get you into rock-solid shape for the season. Got mountains? Climb em. Shit, bring some bubbly up there with you and pop it when you reach the peak. Have done that over at Mt. Rokko in Kobe/Ashiya along some of the incredible spines/ridges they have there. Found a rock with a verticle drop of about 400 feet below it, sat down, and enjoyed the view.

again pointed out, soul search, you will discover new things bout yourself by being here. Get your hands on some good books too.

TBH, even in bumblefuk Japan I dont see how you can be bored - but thats just me.

Hi J A place is what you make it so you can sit there and get more bored more bored and gone insane. The POW is still 2 months off so I suggest you listen to everyone and get out and about. Go get a mountain bike - go for a walk - start learning Japanese.

I am here working 6 days a week - 10hours a day dealing with idiots everyday BELIEVE ME I will swap with you any day. Don't miss out on this experiece ENJOY it! wink