I'm not an English teacher, but was wondering how the experienced ones here have seen the level of spoken English (with young Japanese) change over the last 10 years or so? Big improvements with all the foreigners in classrooms, or not as much as there should be?

Nope. They didn't help much. There was a guy from England at my middle school when I was still going there back in 93-95, but he was just there. I don't know how much interaction students get from them these days, but if they really want their speaking skills to improve, they need to be relocated to a place where people don't speak their own language. Plus... most of the Japanese English teachers I had couldn't even speak fluent English! so how do you expect the students to learn from them!!!

I'm not a teacher or work within the English-speaking community in Japan, but my observation has been that English speaking proficiency in younger (<20-years old) people is poorer than older (40>) persons. If I had to venture a guess as to why, it would be that even though more kids are forced to learn it nowadays, it is a generally unused skill, so it is quickly forgotten; whereas for older individuals, it was a required business skill before the bubble collapsed (or survival skill during the occupation), so through use and habituation it became better. Don't know if this is the case nationwide - maybe the people I know are oddities...

Quote:
but he was just there

lol

There has been some improvement - more foreigners around has an impact, even if they are one of the totally unused ones. (And that impact may be negative I suppose).

Anyway Japan has received so much useful, er, "internationalisatio" because of all this.

I see lots of really positive individual stories - the girl who hated English but was interested in talking with me (when I first came) and decided she wanted to go abroad.... she now lives abroad working as a doctore, etc.

I'd say generally slightly. So many variables, but having a foreigner in lessons can surely only have a positive effect (ie. not a negative one), even if it is a very small one in lots of cases.