I second what skidaisuki said. People are getting pretty hyped for the upcoming season - myself included.

snowdude - I'm sure some people appreciate your 65% accurate predictions but I think there's something to be said for what your mom used to say: If you don't have anything nice to say, you shouldn't say anything at all. People are getting excited, we don't want the pessimism. We'd all be happier being lied to for sure. Please update your forecast and tell us all how great the season is gonna be. Bring the POW!... or at least promises of...

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally Posted By: Big Dogg
I second what skidaisuki said. People are getting pretty hyped for the upcoming season - myself included.

snowdude - I'm sure some people appreciate your 65% accurate predictions but I think there's something to be said for what your mom used to say: If you don't have anything nice to say, you shouldn't say anything at all. People are getting excited, we don't want the pessimism. We'd all be happier being lied to for sure. Please update your forecast and tell us all how great the season is gonna be. Bring the POW!... or at least promises of...

Excuse me, but I will have less of your attitude that is for sure.
What is this crap about what my mum used to say.
I simply gave my prediction along with many others here, and giving a less than super positive forecast is not saying something bad it is mearly telling people my observations.
Many here would actually like to know, and further more I am not going to lie and say yes we are going to have the best season ever with 20 metres of snow everywhere to get everyone hyped up only to find it doesn't happen, then how is everyone going to feel????
I don't LIE, simple as that! I don't like liers, and I am sure most others don't too!

I am simply telling it as I believe it will be from my experience and observations, like I said I am not 100% right all the time and do some years get it wrong, so if I am wrong then great everyone is in for a good year, if I am right well maybe, just maybe some people might actually appreciate my forecast, might!

And I will update my forecast if and when I feel there is anything to update, but it will be as I believe it to be! If in a month or so I still think it is not going to be a good season then I will say so, if on the other hand I think it will be good I will also say so. GOT IT!

Whatever we say, think or want, when it comes to snow, what will be will be. Now that I've stated the obvious, I'll also say we have no way of knowing later whether snowdude was right because he's using a valid method of forecasting or whether he was wrong because of a freak deviation.

But if you are happy to do it, snowdude, I say fine, especially if gathering the data with which to make your predictions involves getting out and about in the mountains in autumn.

Good season or bad, I can't wait for it anyway. I'm doing my research for the necessary boot purchase and sometimes going over to Kanda to take a look at equipment, though not for long so far.

I got it snowdude! - But...it seems some people don't like it when you say negative things (maybe yourself included). Perhaps pessimism about snow conditions could also fit into that category.

Anyways, rather than a lie, how about a little white lie (get it?)?

For example, if say, when you were young and your grandmother was going to die. Your mother wouldn't come to you and say "Now little Billy, grammy is sick...and she's going to die a horrible violent death" No! It'd be more like "Grammy's sick and soon she'll be in a better place." or something lighter to that effect. You really need to take it easy on us here. Some of us are pretty sensitive concerning our POW!

• 4 weeks later...

Ok all a final update, well have to say this year is a tough one, and I am still not 100% sure myself if I am right this year, everything is later than most years. Furthermore some signs that are usually a definate haven't really shown this year.

Looking around some signs are telling me to put away your skis and get out the sun loungers instead, where as other signs are telling me get your snow ploughs out you are going to need them.

To make things worse things that indicate towards a warm winter and things that indicate towards a cold winter are about even, usually not like that, although at the moment I would say 55-60% chance of it being cold, where as back in September I would have said less than 50%.

But due to the lack of some usually more definate elements like we had last year, I am still going with my original forecast and that is a coldish Dec and cold Jan, with some heavy spells of snow, but nothing major. Having said that nothing major in Japan is still excellent compared to most countries anyway.

This forecast by the way is for Kanto, chubu, Niigata areas. Other areas may be quite different!!!

I think all we can do now is wait and see how the season turns out for us.

At least not much longer before we can get our snow gear on.

no...he keeps his methods to himself!!

I am 100% almost sure that there will definitely maybe be a huge snowfall at some point in the next 4-5 months, with snow that may or may not be the deepest on record.

wink