• SnowJapan Moderator

no green around the valley last year, 2006 was so-so till the big storm came, the previous year, well thats one that will be talked bout for a long time...2005 was off the hook! 2004 was good too. You really dont have to worry bout green on the hills though quite often the trees have sasa sticking up some still. I only bicth bout it when I dont get powder...tons to ski, but Im there to be ballz deep smile

We usually go for a multi-day end year / early new year trip to Hakuba and have never had any problems finding decent snow, especially on the higher slopes at Goryu & Happo - though you may have to beware of rocks if you ski right down to valley level. Christmas should be OK unless it's a VERY late start to the season.

As CB mentioned, we had big, big dumps of snow in the past 2 years which made for great conditions - if you could get to the lift stations in the first place! Jan / Feb is prime time, but hopefully this year December will be too...

Most likely an 'early-season' snowpack - maybe scratchy down below, lots of sasa and crap in the woods. But if you get lucky you'll have heaps of snow. But if you get unlucky, they could be barely open at Xmas time. Later would be better.

(But what do I know? I live on Shikoku.)

(I should put that as my signature.)

I was lucky to be in Hakuba on December 24th last year. What surprised me was that there were so few people around. It's a good idea to pace yourself if you're not in shape or haven't skied for a while. Met a few people from Australia who had wrecked themselves before it started dumping, which made it even more miserable for them.

If Markie is coming, it won't snow! That's the most reliable predictor!

The three-month forecast is due out today. Its normally some old buffer saying "the weather will change cyclically", but they might be a bit more commital this time.