Hi all,

further to previous threads about aussies in Japan i'd like to ask about train travel... again....

If i am looking to work in Sapporo but I will be flying into tokyo and i'll have about 40 kg of gear because of all my snow gear plus travel gear, would i be best catching the train up to sapporo?

If i fly domestically, the additional weight will cost me a fortune wont it?

Does anyone know how much a one way train ticket should be? and also does anyone know how often the train goes or can give me a link to look up?

Thanks!!

dean

Dean,

Have a google for JR, Japan Rail or JR Pass. One of these will give you some links to timetables and costs. How long between arrival in Tokyo and arrival Sapporo?

It will probably take a couple of days for Takkyubin to get stuff to Sapporo, but it would be worth it if you can spend those days taking a look around Tokyo and surrounds. Search these threads for takkyubin, they've been mentioned plenty in here. (I know, I've done some of it!!)

yeah the black cat people at the airport are good, easy as pie, give them your stuff and destination address, pay a reasonable fee and then say Adios to your bags, then you can sit back and relax, enjoy whichever way you travel up to Sapporo

• 2 weeks later...
Originally Posted By: Captain Stag
might also be worth checking out the ferrys - or flying and sending your stuff by land from Narita to wherever your staying in Sapporo.

Can you do a ferrry from Tokyo to Soporro?
Originally Posted By: Mantas
Originally Posted By: Captain Stag
might also be worth checking out the ferrys - or flying and sending your stuff by land from Narita to wherever your staying in Sapporo.

Can you do a ferrry from Tokyo to Soporro?

Man, that trip would take forever!
The ferry to the Izu-shoto isles just outside Tokyo bay is like 10 hours, the high speed one is 4

I drove to Ibaragi (2hrs from Tokyo) took the ferry from there to just outside Sapporo. Took about 24 hrs. I don't have the link to hand but I think the name was Sunflower or at least sun-something ferry. The ferries going up that side of Japan are really rough in winter. Not a good option if you get travel sick. I never get travel sick but felt bad inside this one. I spend most of the night outside in the fresh air. I felt fine once I got outside but the wind and rain were freezing so take your ski gear on deck of you plan to do that! The ferry was empty so don't bother paying for a cabin.

I don't know if it is accessible by train.

Can only agree. Get your stuff sent up mate. Its worth every yen. I have done the ferry thing in winter too, but on the sea of Japan side. Do it if you have a strong stomach. I happen to go when there was a lovely cold front going across and I spent half a day throwing up, and I dont get sea sick. Also take some food for the trip, the food on the ship was pretty average and expensive.