True, the Shink is a nice ride and if you are just visiting then its good to ride it. I don't mind the bus TBH, as long as you don't get the very front seat, as you can't get your legs stretched out due to the partition

you guys are gonna kill me... LOL!!

i was looking at our accommodation bookings and have noted that we are not actually in tokyo for 7 nights but 6 nights.. the reason being is that the booking details were weird.. it says that 29/10 - 4/11 but then below that it says 7 nights check in 29/10 check out 5/11..

so the jr pass would be sufficient for our timeframe but...

anyways.. we've decide to give the jr pass a miss as we'll have more than enough to do in a new place.. and we'll probably give the artificial snow a miss too.. makes me sad!!

i think i'll give the bus trip a miss too.. had a bad experience which i do not want to repeat again anytime soon..

thank you for all your help and advice guys!! it is much appreciated..

Tubby Beaver - we will be in osaka at the beginning and end of our trip, tokyo is in between..

Ezorisu - thank you.. im so excited and scared at the same time!!

still counting down..

bubz,

Don't sweat it! The Japanese rail system is Soooo far ahead of anything nwe have in OZ! Unless WA is better than the rest of the country (which I doubt).

You will have a great time, the natives are very friendly, If you don't know exactly which train to get, ask someone (anyone!) they will welcome a chance to practise their english, almost with out exception.

For example, We had an old bloke come up to us on the station (even though we said we had it worked out) and insist that we follow him, down the escalator and onto the train. "OK, sit" he said "now 3 stop, change, OK, 3 stop change!" We said yes, OK. then he left and went back up the escalator.

All will be good, trust me!