Hi

I'm just finalising my trip details and was wondering if the Japan Rail Pass was worth the hassle?! I will be in Osaka and Tokyo for approx. 2 weeks and will only travel out a bit if snow conditions are reasonable otherwise only here and there..

Replies much appreciated.

Regards

I think they are pretty good value if you are doing more than a couple of trips on the Shink. It starts paying for itself straight away if you get the Narita express from the airport.

I think I payed about $500 Aus for the JR East 4 day flexi pass. You really need to use it for the 4 days to get the maximun value out of it.

the only thing i don't like bout the japan rail pass is the consecutive day business.. as we don't have a set planned schedule and may not travel anywhere a day or two..

as i will be in tokyo for 7 nights and travelling to and fro osaka as a return trip.. that is probably all the long distance i will be doing.. as i understand short trips from a few stations is only about AUD $2+ only anyways..

do you still think it is worth it?

i've had a look at several websites and unfortunately from what i understand the 4 day and other flexi passes is separated into regions and therefore i think is restricted?!

it's just so hard.. my schedule consists of being in osaka for 3 nights, travelling to tokyo for 7 nights then back to osaka for an additional 4 nights.. 7 day JR pass is too little and 14 day is a bit too much and does not include the bullet train 'NOZOMI' trains on the Tokaido and Sanyo Shinkansen lines.. and being a newbie to japan i would like to travel on a bullet train for the experience!!

can you suggest alternative passes which are available? or is single one way passes the way to go you think?

bubz,

There are plenty of other shinkansen. The Nozomi is merely one model in the fleet. Check the timetables, they will show that the nozomi is actually not that much faster between Tokyo & Osaka than the next fastest, and that one is available on the JR pass.

Take a gander at the link here to the timetable for one of the routes T - O (and beyond)

The regional passes will not cross over the "border" between East and West to get between Tokyo (in East) and Osaka (in West).

See link for details. That might mean getting an "All Japan" pass (details)

• SnowJapan Admin

Hi bubz - normally you need to post 20 times on the Forums for PMs to automatically open up.

However, I have turned them on for you so from now on you should be able to use them. Thanks.

oh.. thanks FJ Forums Moderator..

JA - now that i've had a look at the websites..

1. the first link i understand the first 3 pages are timetables, but you may have to explain the last page. is shin-osaka osaka? does that mean from tokyo to osaka it will cost 4730 - 5240 on hikari and kodama? does this take approx. 3 hrs? im guessing the price is one way..

from what i understand on websites hikari is faster than the kodama.. depending on station stops..

i think the last two links are a bit too much as they relate to x amount of days whether it be consecutive or flexi and i am sure our only travel long distance wise will be to and fro osaka and tokyo. do you think i am wrong to assume this?!

what would you suggest or recommend when considering my travel details.. remember that i will be in tokyo for 8 days in between staying in osaka at the beginning and end of the trip..

im sorry..

No need to be apologetic. Having been there 3 times, I am still very much learning about the vagaries of the system.

However, a look at the Wikipedia for Shin-osaka yields this gem

Quote:
Shin-ÅŒsaka Station (新大阪駅, Shin-ÅŒsaka Eki?) is a train station in Yodogawa-ku, Osaka, Japan. It is the western terminus of the TÅkaidÅ Shinkansen, and the eastern terminus of the SanyÅ Shinkansen (although many trains offer through service).

Shin-ÅŒsaka is about 3 km from the older Osaka Station. The new station was built in 1964 to avoid the engineering difficulties of running Shinkansen lines into the center of the city. The JR Kyoto Line and subway MidÅsuji Line provide convenient connections to other stations around the city center.

and some time spent reading through the JR site should answer some of your questions. When in doubt, remember that google is your friend. wink Searches for "Osaka map" and other points of interest will often dredge up gems of wisdom.

Yup. Shin-Osaka is the Shinkansen stop. It's on the Osaka loop line, so you can get to Osaka station from there with no problem.

I'm still thinking that since you're going on only one round-trip Shinkansen trip, just getting the tickets for said trip and going "ala-carte" on the local trains will be cheaper than the 14-day pass.

You can also look into discounted group tickets at the JR ticketing window at the station if you are travelling with a bunch (4+) people. BTW, if you do get the rail pass, you will still have to go by there to get your shinkansen seat reservations.

For local trains or subway, look into one-day cards or multiple day cards.

i feel like im going round in circles especially with this rail system... tryin' to find out if any alternative passes are available that would suit my schedule.. it's frustrating but im excited with the countdown till im over there!!

thanks Ezorisu.. it is ashame about the timeframe of my trip in each city.. by the end of all this i think the idea of getting tickets for the desired return trip and individual one way on local trains is the way to go..

if there are discounted group tickets at the JR station that would be great im sure as we will be in a group of 4 ppl..

thank you for all your help guys.. it is much appreciated and i hope to enjoy japan!! im sure i will.. here we come..

Just be aware, if going on the local trains that Limited Express is faster than express. (limited in that the number of stops is more limited than the express trains, I think) Local trains are often "every station" trains and can be slow - BUT you get to see a lot of the countryside!

Getting tickets in Osaka and Tokyo shouldn't be too difficult, even without Japanese language capability.

For the long haul between the two cities, I would say going with the shinkansen will be worthwhile, both from the time and experience aspect. Even the slower Kodama trains are faster than the regular Tokaido line trains, even the express ones. It is too bad that the rail pass doesn't quite work into your schedule. Really - unless you are riding trains all over creation every day and make 4+ shinkansen runs, the price doesn't justify it. The first time I visited Japan, I got a rail pass, but that was a Tokyo-Osaka-Tokyo-Sapporo-Tokyo trip, so we were on trains pretty much every day of two weeks!

Depending on where you staying within Tokyo and Osaka, the subway stations may be closer and more convenient. Those don't take the JR rail passes.

Another small tidbit - the shinkansen run out of Ueno station in Tokyo. That's on the Yamanote loop line, so it's as easy to get to as Shin-Osaka is in Osaka.

Hope everything works out!

Actually, an overnight bus from Osaka to Tokyo is not a bad idea. Saves you on a hotel room for one night if nothing else, and you wake up at your destination in the morning. Definitely cheaper.

Everyone has to experience the bullet train at least once though...

and sleeping on a bus is not one of life's little pleasures! In fact there's so little pleasure in it that I'd definitely pass ion that one. Maybe that's just me, but! (BOF 'n' all as I am)

I can only do it when I take a sleeping tablet, but I am a light sleeper.

Papa and the kids can sleep on a bus, plane, train or automobile! LOL So we are planning on doing that a few times on our Europe trek this January - better renew the prescription for me so I can sleep too!!