I used to have boxes and boxes of floppies for all sorts of stuff. One compiler I had came on 70 floppies. The install was tedium itself. I tossed all the floppies some time ago. I thought about keeping some for old times sake, but discovered that most of the older ones were toast anyway.

The only thing I kept was a game with text based graphics called Larn.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I found a box of 5-1/4" floppy disks a couple of years back and thought for a brief moment, "hey, there might be something good on here," then wised up to the fact that it was nearly impossible to find anything to read them, so I chucked the whole lot.

I'm sure whatever was on there I had backed up to 3-1/2" and subsequently to CD... oh well, no great loss.

I've still got a box with 5.25 and 3.5 floppy drives installed (and working!) So, one day, when I'v absolutely nothing else to do, I'm gunna drag out that box of old floppies and trawl through them. Might be some gems of technological wizardry in there, you just never know!

Never did get into games, so the chances of there being anything playable are remote in the extreme. Actually, the chance of there being anything readable on some of them (well over 20 years old!) is remote! But it'll be ?fun? having a look.

Originally Posted By: happyhappy
Getting worked up over a word processer? It's a bit silly isn't it?

Only if you don't care how well the thing does what you want.

80:20 rule applies.

80% of users will use up to 20% of the functionality of any software, the remaining 20% of users will use anything up to 80% of the functionality. Almost nobody uses 100%! AND the bits that make up the 20% are different between users.
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Used to work for Adobe so I have lots of Adobe early stuff.

On the other end of the scale, looking forward to getting the spanking new Creative Suite 4 next week as well. biggrin Have been on 2 for a while so time for an upgrade.

• 2 weeks later...

It's basically the brand new versions of Photoshop, Illustrator, Dreamweaver, Flash, Fireworks and other Adobe applications.

I used to be in graphic design but now it is more of a hobby really.

Talking of old software, tough luck if you want a new Windows 3.1 license. doh

Windows 3.x has come to the closing moments of its long life.

On 1 November Microsoft stopped issuing licences for the software that made its debut in May 1990 in the US.

The various versions of Windows 3.x (including 3.11) released in the early 1990s, were the first of Microsoft's graphical user interfaces to win huge worldwide success.

They helped Microsoft establish itself and set the trend for how it makes its revenues, and what drives the company until the present day.