I was looking back at some software I had on floppies and cds from way back. Brought back lots of memories. Windows 3.1, Office 95, Corel Draw. One that I still use now is Adobe Image Styler, really simple but really easy.

Any old names from the past you still use?

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• SnowJapan Admin
Originally Posted By: big-will
One that I still use now is Adobe Image Styler, really simple but really easy.

I still use that one too sometimes for simple things. Pity they didn't continue it way back.

WordPerfect used to take about 40 floppies to install.

For my teaching, I use images embedded in the text. This way, there is no misunderstanding about meaning. Try as much as I can, there is no word processor better than WordPerfect for dealing with objects (in this case images).

MS Word is so faulty that it will not recognise Microsoft objects. WP will.

I would love to fully transfer to Open Office, but in 10 years there has been no improvement.

No joke rach. This is pre-CD technology, and I still use it.

I would love to update, but MS Word bloatware (shiteware?) can't deal with MS objects.

WordPerfect gives you an option to open a window and directly edit the formatting. It also allows you to place an object where you want, on the page.

The "more advanced" software can't manage this.

lol

In the 1970s I was programming in Fortran and on punchcards.

Microsoft may dominate the market, but their bloatware is shiteware.

WP allows me to place an image precisely where I want on the page. No problem. MSshiteware won't allow you to format the document.

Try writing a 300 page report after 2 years and a 1/2 million dollar budget. I would love to update but the dead WP isn't matched by new offerings.

Briquet,

I've used both WP & Word. No probs with either - particularly with embedding images (photos, tables, symbols, etc)

Different functions to achieve the same thing.

I do know it is laborious in Word, but it is easy enough.

My mate Don at the CSIRO was (is) a superb computer scientist. He has spent many years writing most of the software to interpret airborne EM.

He was (is) tearing his hair out because he needed to make a report and MSshiteware won't recognise or format MS objects.

I'm going to be criticised for this non-PC opinion. Enjoy your soylent green.

MSbloatware would recognise and display the object sometimes, but not every time. Sometimes, it would place it in the correct position, sometimes not. Sometimes everything was fine, but when you re-opened the document, everything had re-formatted itself.

WordPerfect is old and clunky but it gives you the option of a second screen where you can directly edit the document format. The text will cascade around the object very nicely. Possibly, MS have dealt with this issue, but I have no temptation to spend my money finding out.

I thought WordPerfect was bollocks.

I have Word 2007 on my machines and it does way more than I need it to. I think it's pretty good actually, a lot of good stuff since 2003 version.

Don't Microsoft do demos, like Adobe do? Having said that, sounds like your mind is set and you wouldn't be tempted even if there was no money needed to find out.

You are correct, BoC. WordPerfect is (unsupported) bollox. It is much better than MS Office 2000 though. If you want to post me a rip-off CD of the latest MS bloatware, then pm me for contact details.

If (as I suspect) your employer is paying good money for shite, then good luck. There are real problems with going past two pages and an XL spreadsheet in MS Word.

I have to be careful here. My pm box is full of warnings from SJF about being banned for stating unpopular opinions. MS got rich selling bloatware that would not perform. In my professional opinion, taking money for non-perfomance is fraud.

• SnowJapan Admin
Originally Posted By: soubriquet
My pm box is full of warnings from SJF about being banned for stating unpopular opinions.

Not true, and I totally do not appreciate that misleading comment along with the other similar ones you seemed fit to post that have already been taken out.

Your PM box is 'full' of a few polite requests within one PM thread asking you to:

a) refrain from continuing the personal/private comments/attacks in another thread and;

B) refrain from stoking the argument and persisting with the sarcasm directed towards me on the Forums (as per the above post).

Absolutely nowhere - both in that PM or on here - have I asked you to 'not state unpopular opinions', unless of course you count those as being in the two cases above. That is totally not the case.

soubs,

OK, we get it. You don't like Microsoft. Join the queue.

However, for many of us, the choice is made by corporate IT, and us poor minions have to cope as best we can.

In my private life, I prefer to use non-MS product where it is as functional (and usually more so). That I have to have interoperability with MS stuff is due to the aforesaid work requirement. I do some work stuff at home, so need MS office compatability. I use Compare Office, relatively cheap (like about AUD200) for the equivalent of MSOffice Pro, although the database is not Access compatible.

Worth a try, maybe?