I was having a chat with SJ#1 last night in a bar downtown, seems he's going to be part of the panel for a conference meeting in Niigata about the "2014 Shinkansen mondai (problem)" later this month. (Hope you don't mind me mentioning that SJ1). Basically, it's about the fact that in 2014 when the Nagano Shinkansen gets extended to go north through Joetsu and then south west towards Kansai, they reckon that a lot of people will use that instead of the Niigata (Joetsu) Shinkansen and that there will be a lot of reprecussions for Niigata - ie. less Joetsu Shinkansens going to Niigata than now and a big economic effect. It seems that JR haven't announced that they will decrease the number of Shinks coming through Niigata, but they surely will if the numbers are down.

Interesting topic I thought, but unsure as to why there would be a big effect on the Joetsu Shinkansen - surely people coming to Niigata would still be coming to Niigata? I suppose now a lot of people get off at Yuzawa and then change over to the Hokuhoku-sen to get to Joetsu and that will be affected quite a lot....

I think the nearest will be Joetsu, but you'll have to backtrack to get to Myoko - so how much better cost it is than getting the local train from Nagano > Myoko, I'm not sure. I don't suppose that much really.

Will it make much of a difference for people getting to Hakuba from the south?

Even if they reduced the number of Shinks going up to Niigata, and without knowing too much about all of this, I'd have thought there will still be plenty stopping at Echigo Yuzawa - I would think that particular area would not be affected too much though places to the north might be more.

• SnowJapan Admin

I believe the official number of people that they estimate will 'swap' from using the Hokuhoku (Yuzawa > Joetsu) to using the new Shinkansen is 6,500 daily.

I'll post something if there is anything particularly interesting coming out of the conference.