Originally Posted By: thursday
I think I hate "New York, New York" more.

Sounds like a good party, hope no wasted alcohol.

That got sung too - of course!

And yes my 16 yr old son almost strangled me when I tipped the rest of the Sake down the sink this morning. I figured it has been open since Saturday, had been heated and cooled - sat there open on the bench since then - nup...time to flush it. But my entire recycling bin is FULL of bottles (so much so I need to go dump some in my mothers bin) - so there was plenty of damage done.

Originally Posted By: Greenroome
Good on you, Mama.

More empathy needed in this world.

I agree.
But I can't take the credit on this one.
The humantiarian is my son...he is the one who volunteered to do this ... he is the one who will be holding the hands of the dying, and bringing smiles to abandonded kids faces. He is 14 years old and today he is my hero.
  • 2 weeks later...

I was persuaded into going to karaoke last night after an enkai. I actually had a good time, surprised even myself. Surprised at how many modern songs were on there as well. I sang a recent Coldplay song (very badly, but everyone was drunk).

Still nursing my head this afternoon.

Originally Posted By: Journey Man
Karaoke in J Land is easy. You get totally toasted and make an idiot of yourself. That's ok, cos there's only 8 of you in a sound insulated broom closet. The outside world has no clue.

I hate karaoke boxes but thankfully there are alternatives! I regularly go to a karaoke bar in Kutchan where I can have an audience and just let rip. I love singing and do so just about everywhere (my work colleagues do occasionally ask me to shut up). Karaoke for me is just a great night out with friends. We take full advantage of the Y3,000 nomi hodai (all night) and there has been many a night where we haven't stopped singing until well after the sun has come up. We do have friends come along who don't sing but just drink and enjoy the fun.

nomi hodai kicks ass. A local izekaya has nomi hodai for 1000 yen every Tuesday, it opens at 5pm and closes at 3am and you can sit there from open to close drinking all for 1000yen!! Quality!! Not good if you work on Wednesday though!!

Just an update:

The bear cub succeeded in returning alive from Nepal, donated the money he raised AND about 2/3 of his spending money (tightened his tourist belt while there) but he has come home telling me not to serve curry or naan bread for a while! LOL

He worked hard and felt really good about what he did. There is a maturity about him the way he was able to explain that it was 'not fun', but it was well worth doing and he gained a lot.

He returned home Sunday, we took him wakeboarding on Monday, he went back to school tuesday and it is his birthday today - he is 15. We are glad to have him home.

Had an enkai on Friday and the nijikai was karaoke. It was one of those "I want to not be here occasions". You know, not being in the best of moods to start with, not particularly liking the company, the leering kacho, the pushing me to sing songs I hate etc. I made my excuses and left asap!