OK ... what is it about Aussies and Karaoke?

We are hosting a Karaoke Party on Saturday night - free flowing sake and Sapporo beer, platters of nori rolls, nigiri zushi and hosomaki nori rolls, as well as assorted hot j-nibbles....

and yet we are getting a majority of our invitee's turning us down for one reason - karaoke. They are terrified of ending up in front of the microphone! omg

So far the only people coming are our j-friends and the Aussies who are Japan regulars! rolleyes

I said to Papabear ... for goodness sake they don't have to sing...they can just laugh at those of us that do...but apparently the fear is that great they wont even risk it. Routinely we have 100 odd guests for parties, so it really is a shock that we are struggling to get 30 for this one!!! doh

So...do YOU Karaoke?

Ok, I'm so not an Aussie, however here's my 3 cents anyway...

Karaoke in J Land is easy. You get totally toasted and make an idiot of yourself. That's ok, cos there's only 8 of you in a sound insulated broom closet. The outside world has no clue.

But in front of a 100 odd people, most of who you only know vaguely, combined with the fear that you could become the next big antihero, that's scary!

No me Thurs...I do my best work on the microphone after enough drinks to make me at least giggly. What IS Karaoke without alcohol? Just a bunch of idol wannabe's ... now add copious quantities of alcohol ... and you have a hysterically funny rollicking good time! Karaoke is no place for seriousness! (says me and my 58 disc collection)

Thursday's right. Don't write the k-word on the invite, but whip out the gear at 1am and you'll need security guards around the mic.

I've got a funny/disturbing Korea karaoke moment permanently etched on my brain - a non-English speaking 60 year-old Mamma smiling, clapping and swaying along while a dodgy Aussie dude blazed out his rendition of a thoughtfully-chosen 'Rape Me' by Nirvana.

I never do it back home, standing up in front of a bar full of complete and semi strangers and making a tit outta myself is not fun. My family are big singers, at New Year when I was young my Granny used to have an old school Scottish family New Years party and EVERYONE sung....except for me. I refused and still do. BUT over here, like someone has mentioned before, its in a small room and I don't mind it so much.

I would probably avoid the party as well MB, not because I hate that other people like to Karaoke, but because EVERYONE is always on you back to sing. So abstaining is a real problem.

Should have done it sneakily as has been mentioned then even the whiners (like me) would probably be drunk enough to give it a shot

I stay well away from that sort of thing! I don't even sing in the shower, that's how bad my voice is! Never one to force others to endure torture, me!

BTW, agree with thursday about Mull. Sung by drunks, it is enough to drive even the most balanced person over the edge!

I sing in the shower. In fact I was quite embarrassed when I heard at an enkai that someone knows someone who knows the someone living in the place below me and that I am well known for my singing in the shower.

shifty

KAROK,

I hosted a bunch of malaysian military cadets on tour last year and they LOVE their karaoke... Asians and karaoke, they take it too seriously.

They made me/beg, pretty much, for me to sing an australian song. I obviously chose Khe Sahn and Down under. I love karaoke, however, noone else likes me singing :/.

Alex

I was thinking about my previous post today in work, thinking how I wouldn't stand up and sing in a bar, ironically while I was belting out those classics such as "Head, Shoulders, Knees and Toes" and the ever inspiring "Hello Song" to a bunch of 2nd grade Elementary students who were simply looking on bemused!!! lol

OK... well I am pleased to report that other than my sake headache, and a massive mess in my house ... the night was a huge success!! thumbsup

We ended up with about 25 adults (and about 10 kids) - there were a few shy people who never got near the microphone, but there were enough others who wouldn't let the thing go! Some were great singers, some just thought they were! doh

Party continued until 2am when we shut it down for fear of neighbourhood lynching lol

Plenty of good food, drinks and great company. Awesome!

That it did brit-gob.

And it was actually sung by my Brother-In-Law (Papabears youngest sisters husband). He has a GREAT voice - he is Anglo-Indian, a deadset charmer with the smoothest singing voice and some seriously talented guitar skills.

The night was held to send off my 14 yr old on a Humantarian Aid pilgrimage. We did some silent auctions on the night, as well as a raffle - and from those low key efforts raised enough money to provide acconmodation, food, clothing and schooling to about 18 children rescued from child slavery (domestic and sexual slavery) for a year. It was quite a big thrill to involve a community behind the hands on efforts of my son - sorta spread the feeling of 'doing something' to others.

And had a rocking good time too boot!