My mum has just shown me how to use the Internet. This is what I found on the the UK Marmite site:

Quote:
When German scientist, Liebig discovered that brewer's yeast cells could be concentrated, bottled and eaten, Marmite was as close to being invented as it's possible to be, without actually having being invented...

It was in 1902 that the Marmite Food Company (later Marmite Ltd) was set up in Burton on Trent. Our mission, then as now, was to share the joy of Marmite-eating and make it available to all those with excellent taste.

It took a while to get the machinery and manufacturing process right, but soon enough we started producing great quantities of the spread you know and love today. (Cue widespread celebration and dancing in the streets!)

The basic production method has changed little since Marmite was first invented. Basically, the used brewer's yeast is broken down to release soluble amino acids and proteins. This soluble material is then concentrated and filtered a few times before going through a unique (and top secret) process for flavour development.

At the end of all this, we end up with yeast extract paste - nearly Marmite but not quite. The finishing touches make all the difference. We add an extra blend of vitamins, vegetable and spice extracts to create the taste your mouth adores!

Thanks to its high B vitamin content, Marmite did its bit for the UK in two World Wars.

By the time of the First World War it was included in soldiers ration packs. It also became a staple food in hospitals and schools.

During World War II, Marmite became a dietary supplement in prisoner-of-war camps, and in 1999, it was sent to British peacekeeping forces in Kosovo after we received morale boosting requests from the field.

download-desktop.gif

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"technically a sandwich"?? Current usage would have anything that is composed of two "slices" of one material with a "slice" of an second product between them as a sandwich.

Don't believe me? Take a look here for example.

Seems sandwiches don't even have to be edible!

variation on old time fairy bread for the new generation is a layer of nutella lightly sprinkled with hundreds and thousands and cut into dinosaur shapes (I have this cute diplodocus shaped cutter that cuts 2 dino's out of one piece of bread/sandwich with little waste - kids love it!)

• 2 weeks later...