Hi guys,

It's time to make travel plans, and we are looking for Ryokan/Minshuku-style accommodation. Just two of us, and we have a car and want to do a week in Furano area and a week around Rusutsu. Staff that speak better English than my Japanese would be nice. No trouble finding a place in Furano, but do you think I can find even one place in Kutchan? I've Googled my fingers off, been to the JNTO, Ryokan/minshuku association websites and everything is in Niseko or Rusutsu (and they are booking out fast).

Does anyone know where I should try next, or should we just give in and stay in the ski areas with the rest of the crowds?

Because it seems to be the largest town in proximity to all the resorts in the area, so a day trip to whichever resort we pick in the morning is feasible. And if the same logic works in Japan as it does elswhere, we should be able to stay cheaper in a nearby town, than in the resort area.

We could just stay in Rusutsu but I'm even having trouble finding a place there on the dates we plan to travel. We'll probably end up spending two weeks in central Hokkaido.

It seems strange to me though, that a town 10 min drive from Niseko, and 40 min to Rusutsu, should have no advertised accommodation.

Best person to answer will be GN (Go Native) as 69 said. I am sure we met people in Niseko who were staying in Kutchan, but they may well have been staying in someone's private home/accomodation rather than a commercial venture.

I know the drive between Kutchan and Niseko is quite manageable for a Gaijin Tourist because Papabear managed it with a dodgy knee with ease on a regular basis. Certainly do-able if you can get the accomodation.

I can respect that, Big-Will, if it's the case. I wouldn't want my neighbourhood over-run by tourists every winter either...

Its bad enough here in the summer, and even worse in "Schoolies Week"

I'm actually keen to drive because we skied Hakuba last year and having the freedom to get out and go wherever and whenever we wanted was just brilliant. If we stay in the resort, it's harder to justify getting a car, and then day trips are off the menu.

There is a hotel with an Onsen near the little (one lift) ski hill on the outskirts of Kutchan called Hotel Yotei. I often go there for onsens but have never stayed. Should be what you're looking for and shouldn't have a problem getting a room.

If you need help with making a booking pm me with details.