Hi All

I have a pair of Rossignol Sahpir 200 skis, (bought them a coupld of years ago) and am wondering if they are ok for skiing in Japan. I am only an intermmediate skier, and more likely to stay on groomed runs, but would like to test myself out in the powder as well.

The skis are:

Sidecut: 114/69/95

Radius: 15.1 (162)

Thanks

Kath.. wakaranai

From a purely simplistic point of view, if you ski them OK at Falls or Thredbo, then you'll be OK in Japow.

Now, having said that, there will be plenty of people with far more detailed and technical stuff.

However, unless you are loaded (in which case, I have an urge for you to buy me a set of powder skis - I'll let you know the cost when I get to Japan in January! wink) you'll be fine on the planks you slide on at present.

Fact is you can ski powder on toothpick skis if you are careful (and don't mind not seeing your feet or your planks).

Cheers

u should buy my atomics which are 130-105-120 at 180cm for 20,000 yen. It will cost you roughly 4000 yen to rent a pair of powder skis for a day. The Classifides section has been taken down cuz of spammers, but sure it will be up again soon and you can see the pic. Theyre bomber. Thats an excellent price for a pair of skis which are in fantastic shape.

Originally Posted By: Creek Boy
u should buy my atomics which are 130-105-120 at 180cm for 20,000 yen. It will cost you roughly 4000 yen to rent a pair of powder skis for a day. The Classifides section has been taken down cuz of spammers, but sure it will be up again soon and you can see the pic. Theyre bomber. Thats an excellent price for a pair of skis which are in fantastic shape.

I think they might be a bit long for me, mine are only 162cm. 180cm - I could see myself getting into lots of trouble! But thanks anyway!
Originally Posted By: kathfern

I think they might be a bit long for me, mine are only 162cm. 180cm - I could see myself getting into lots of trouble! But thanks anyway!

I've got a hacksaw I'll sell ya for a 6 pack of beer.....that should sort them out!

wink
Originally Posted By: kathfern

I wiseman once said:
Short skis suck, long skis truck!! grandpa

cb the sahpir is a girls ski thus selling the big skis to her really aint going to happen. Just take your skis with you. You can rent if you really cant ski powder with them. You can even buy in japan as it will be cheaper anyways than NSW

KF I bought my ski's when I was in Canada, I have since used them in NZ and when I went to Japan. I had no trouble with them but then on the other hand I also have NO IDEA!!! I was going to hire some powder ski's when I was there if required but didn't need to.

There is a large ski shop in Kutchan that actually had really cheap ski's for sale. My suggestion is take your ski's and if you need hire a pair see what you think.

If this is your first trip to Japan you will be addicted so don't worry if you have to buy some over there I'm sure you'll be back to use them again!!!!!!

Originally Posted By: Fattwins
cb the sahpir is a girls ski thus selling the big skis to her really aint going to happen. Just take your skis with you. You can rent if you really cant ski powder with them. You can even buy in japan as it will be cheaper anyways than NSW

yeah, I blew over the part where she mentions her skis length...my bad biggrin

Still a great deal though wink
  • 4 weeks later...

I have heard that, as a general trend, buying new skis in Japan is often not much cheaper, if not more expensive, than at places in Australia offering (reasonably) good deals.

Also, what are people's thoughts on hiring performance/advanced skis in Niseko - (fyi: looking at buying K2 Apache Recon or Volkl Tigersharks as my next set, possibly).