Computer backups - what do you do?

Originally Posted By: Ezorisu
My intent was to set it up as RAID1, but I got busy with other stuff (and also lazy), so I've been just saving to the external drives.

You probably still can without having to trash the disks. You might have to read the manual though...
  • 3 weeks later...

I'll try to make this as non geeky as poss... lol

Raid 0 (striping) is for speed as all the disks get treated as one. If you have two disks in a Raid 0 set then you can read/write twice as fast because you have twice the amount of heads to use. It is actually a more dangerous setup as you are now exposed to losing all your data if any of the drives fail. But it is fast!

Raid 1 (mirroring) is for protection. You must have an even amount of discs as each disc has a mirror pair. Data is written to both discs in a mirrored pair. If one drive fails in a Raid 1 set then its mirror pair carries on as if nothing had happened. You need to run monitoring software to tell you when a drive has failed.

There are lots of other raid levels too, but these usually appear on server systems with lots of disks.

So if I had a home machine with data on it that I really wanted to protect I'd choose Raid 1 and do some kind of regular off site backup.