• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah good point, forgot to mention worth wearing goggles when you try to crush the drive, oh that goes for anything that could break up, please do it at your own risk though and be careful.

Don't wont you to injure yourself just before the ski season kicks off.

Have to say never seen glass inside a HDD, thin metal disks, but never glass, that's something new on me. Having said that I have only crushed a couple of drives so maybe not crushed enough to find the ones with glass.

Yes. Usually the platters are indeed aluminum with the magnetic stuff deposited on it. The glass platters came as quite a surprise. IIRC, it was either an ancient IBM or Fujitsu. Not the kind of thing you want to discover when hurling them around the carport like ninja stars!

Quote:
.....when hurling them around the carport like ninja stars!

And you do that Ezorisu!?

I remember my last computer I didn't defrag once from buying until it was 4 years old. The defrag I did on that took forever. With my current one I do it once a week and it only takes 5 minutes or so.

Not at my own house! That was done at a friends house, the reason being had the platter been aluminum, the ninja mischief would have been followed up by taking the magnetic media off the platter with a die grinder, which I don't have.

This has degenerated into the "destroying HDD's" thread... Sorry!