New computer - this time desktop

I know there was talk of notebooks a few months back, but how about desktops? I am thinking of replacing my 4 year old one with something. As I'm buying, will wait to get something as powerful as possible for, say, 300,000 yen.

Any recommendations in terms of which brand and what kind of power setup to go for?

Cheers!

Yes why don't you take a trip to Tsukamo where they sell both e-machines and gateway computers. You can also buy all the parts to make your own computer and they will even customize a computer or build one for you if you wish.

Their prices are much cheaper than other brand named computers but offer the same if not better specs for a lot less money.

I have an e-machines desktop that I have had for 4 years now and still use it sometimes, never had a problem with it.

My mother in law bought a Gateway comp about a year ago which was higher spec than just about anything else you could find but only cost about 100,000 yen, where by other shops would be selling different brands for about 250,000 onwards at that spec.

At the end of the day the physical parts that are in all the computers now a days all come from the same few manufacturers. Of course the higher spec reflects the price, but when you consider you can by a sony vao or nec machine that usually has a less powerful processor lower spec but costs twice as much, you realise it is the name you are paying for not necessarily the performance.

Hope this helps you!

My advice is find someone you trust who knows more than you do and have it built from the ground up with the specs you want/need.

I am getting a new desktop (for the boy) and a new laptop for me - and I wouldn't have thought of half the things my friend did ... feeling pretty confident we are buying a piece of equipment that will be useful even a few years down the road. And price comparision wise expecially on the desk top we are way in front!

Why these companies charge new tech charges for old tech and install it in package deals to move the stock and allow them the bring in the new stock .... makes ya mad to realise you are starting out with old outdated technology to begin with!

Originally Posted By: Mamabear
My advice is find someone you trust who knows more than you do and have it built from the ground up with the specs you want/need.

I am getting a new desktop (for the boy) and a new laptop for me - and I wouldn't have thought of half the things my friend did ... feeling pretty confident we are buying a piece of equipment that will be useful even a few years down the road. And price comparision wise expecially on the desk top we are way in front!

Why these companies charge new tech charges for old tech and install it in package deals to move the stock and allow them the bring in the new stock .... makes ya mad to realise you are starting out with old outdated technology to begin with!

Exactly why I recommended the shop I did, they will build you a computer that is the best you can get and for a decent price too!

Unless you need it to do some processing heavy thing, a mighty powerful computer can be had for under 200,000.

If you still want to treat yourself, I'd get an Apple screen regardless of whether you buy a PC. They're gorgeous. For a desktop I think about 24" is enough. 30" and you'll have to sit too far back.

I've only got a couple of flash bits of kit. My fave is my 2.1 Altec Lansing speaker setup. The speakers are towers with five little ones in and theres a subwoofer on the floor. Really great sound. I've got a wireless mouse, but its a pain in the arse. It doesn't charge unless it is perfectly positioned on the cradle. The charger/cradle thing is plugged in permanently, which is also a big waste of power. Having lots of buttons on your mouse helps though. I'm a fan of natural keyboards, so try one of them as well.

Originally Posted By: scouser
When you're not a techbod, can they still help or do you need to go in there knowing all the details you need?

No just tell them what you want the comp for and whether or not you want the max power or enough to do what you want and they will build it for you. No need to be a techy at all!

Obviously we all have different needs for a computer, but one thing that many people don't bare in mind is that if you by an average powered machine with a reasonable sized drive etc, it will of course work fine and do everything that most want it too.
But you need to think whether or not you plan to keep the computer for 3+ years, because if so an average machine is already out of date the day you bring it back home, in three years time it will be a dinosaur.

Of course money is a big factor, but I say set your maximum budget that you are happy to spend and then buy the best you can in within that budget.

Of course if you intend changing the computer every year then the top spec is not really required unless you plan on doing a lot of very heavy processing as any computer now a days works well.

One of the biggest problem I find is lack of hard drive space, for me, as I take a lot of photos I need big hard drives and have actually bought two external 500gb hard drives for both back ups and to store all my photos as I have to many photos now to store on my laptops 400 gb hard drive.

An external drive is of course not so expensive, so that may be another thing to think about.
If you are only using for the net and to do a little word processing then power and a huge drive is not required!

JM good point. Sometimes it is worth paying slightly bit more for a a support system. I had a Vaio a few years back and things went wrong (actually a bit my fault I think but keep that quiet) - sent it back and it came back brand new just 5 days later. I was very pleased.

Thanks. Well I would not be in a position to fix it when it got sick, so I do need the reassurance of some kind of support.

As for the main brands - any recommendations to look at or stay away from in particular?

• 4 weeks later...

My friend has just bought a new Sony Vaio desktop. It's one of the new models, huge screen. All in one, so no huge tower - it's all included in the display part. 350,000 yen in Yamada and places but he got it for something like 260,000 yen (some kind of employee discount). The screen looks incredible, looks like a really great system.