The world didn't end.

And the first beam has been sent round the tunnel.

Phew. The Daily mail had me bricking it for a bit there.

lol

Quote:
Three decades after it was conceived, the world's most powerful physics experiment has sent the first beam around its 27km-long tunnel.

Engineers cheered as the proton particles completed their first circuit of the underground ring which houses the Large Hadron Collider (LHC).

The £5bn machine on the Swiss-French border is designed to smash particles together with cataclysmic force.

This will re-create conditions in the Universe moments after the Big Bang.

As some people are concerned the that Large Hadron Collider may destroy the world theres an rss feed you can subscribe to, to tell you if this has occurred:

http://www.hasthelhcdestroyedtheearth.com/rss.xml

Or just use the webpage:

http://www.hasthelhcdestroyedtheearth.com/

Oh, and further on this topic:

"One of their main goals is looking for super-partners of normal particles. None are found experimentally yet and physicists are hoping that they just "live" at higher energy scales."

I have large hadron problems quite often - one of these super-partners would really help.

Originally Posted By: thursday
Midnight is zulu time, so here's getting few more in before the end.

Strictly speaking (and yes, I know I'm a pedant!) Zulu time is what used to be known as Greenwich Mean Time (GMT) and is now known as Universal Time - Coordinated (UTC). Local time is known as Lima time.

Quote:
(Wiki) Time zones usually differ from UTC by an integral number of hours, although the laws of each jurisdiction would have to be consulted if sub-second accuracy was required. Several jurisdictions established time zones that differ by an integer number of half-hours from UT1 or UTC.

The UTC time zone is sometimes denoted by the letter Z – a reference to the equivalent nautical time zone (GMT), which has been denoted by a Z since about 1950. The letter also refers to the "zone description" of zero hours, which has been used since 1920 (see time zone history). Since the NATO phonetic alphabet and amateur radio word for Z is "Zulu", UTC is sometimes known as Zulu time. This is especially true in aviation, where Zulu is the universal standard. This ensures all pilots regardless of location are using the same 24-hour clock, thus avoiding confusion when flying between time zones.

Thank you Mr Google!

All part of the internationailsation (sheesh, what a word!) of things. GMT was always known (in the military, and airlines) as Zulu time. Saves stuffing around with 3 letters (which would have to be Golf Mike Tango time - a mouthfull)

As things go ATM, the current time is 2110hrs Lima (and that would be 1110hrs Zulu). Quite simple, really!

As for UTC, the French got thingy about Greenwich, and it is only an approximation, really.