• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cloud computing is ideal from a consumer point of view as it means you Don't need expensive hardware or expensive software Licenses-at the moment.

It is the way forward now for computing - not quite in 5years as the infrastructure isn't advanced yet enough for Joe Public to reap the benefits of it. Businesses will be the first to benefit as some people have attested to in regards to documents and Google apps. When usershave the same functionality on these apps as they do at home, with secure networks too, thats when it'll take off

Simple example: yahoomail or gmail. your data is stored on their server, they provide the mail in/out function and the software to operate it runs in your browser though it behaves like a desktop app.

I'll have a go.

Yuo know how now your Word documents or whatever are saved on your computer?

With this cloud thingy, the file won't be saved on your computer - but somewhere online. You'd need to be connected to t'inta to get them. No connection, no files matey.

Or something like that.

• 2 weeks later...

I see Google Wave has been released to limited users.

This quote made me laugh out loud:

"Google Wave runs in most browsers, with the notable exception of Microsoft's Internet Explorer (IE). Users of IE will have to download a plug-in, known as Chrome Frame to use the application. "

This is clearly 'web developers revenge' for years of having to rewrite websites to get them to work on IE.

• 1 year later...

i recently gave this a try (got my finger on the pulse, me! wink ) for the first time and while its very fast, it often crashes...or more to the point a message comes up saying that the Shockwave Flash plug-in has crashed and I can't watch video content on websites. Anyone else get this or able to help me get rid of this problem? Also have no idea how to download torrents on it.....it opens up my iTunes automatically for some reason and doesn't start to download anything

• 2 years later...

IE 8 was being messed about by a lot of sites I tried. Finally decided to ditch it.

Now using Chrome and internet just got a lot faster. The pages download in half the time.

No more IE.