• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

Odd name.

Damn fast browswer, esp on my slow machine. Even faster than Firefox 3. It's very Beta though. PDF's kill it and some pages form pages don't render very well. The spell checker mostly works.

I won't be switching just yet as there are too many problems, but I think it is going to be a good browser.

I think the most interesting thing about it is I think it represents the next step in Google trying to provide a complete desktop.

• 11 months later...

I am also using Chrome as main browser now on laptop and work PC.

Problems with it:

- RSS basically not supported (IE8 is king here)

- No addons so have to switch to Firefox to read Japanese (rikaichan addon)

cool stuff coming:

- bookmark synchronisation (sync your work/home pc browser bookmarks)

I cant wait for Google OS and will be getting a $300 netbook once it comes out. I love the direction google is going in with google apps, cloud computing etc. It will take 5 years to take off properly but M$ will be in dire straights eventually.

Originally Posted By: bobby12
It's good, but no addons so useless to me.

I am also using Chrome as main browser now on laptop and work PC.

Problems with it:
- RSS basically not supported (IE8 is king here)
- No addons so have to switch to Firefox to read Japanese (rikaichan addon)

cool stuff coming:
- bookmark synchronisation (sync your work/home pc browser bookmarks)

I cant wait for Google OS and will be getting a $300 netbook once it comes out. I love the direction google is going in with google apps, cloud computing etc. It will take 5 years to take off properly but M$ will be in dire straights eventually.

What a change.

OK, worth a try then.
I love the direction google is going in with google apps, cloud computing etc. It will take 5 years to take off properly but M$ will be in dire straights eventually.

Quick. Someone tell Microsoft about cloud computing as don't think they have heard of it. Oh is that Azure you heard.

Cloud computing won't take off until people feel safe about their documents and what they have done is owned by them and them alone.

I think MS are playing catch up, and have conflicting interests, so I don't see them retaining their position over the next 15 years as we move to cloud computing.

Your point is valid about privacy, however I think for personal users it wont be an major issue (I already store tons of very important docs on google so I can access from overseas in an emergency), and for businesses they have paid service with extra security.

I really think this direction is inevitable now, most decent web developers are building new sites using AJAX or RIA apps like Flex - so we are seeing the web become more dynamic and 'desktop-app like' and able to hold user data. It wont be many years before HTML is revamped and supported by new browsers so it can support these dynamic applications better. The infrastructure is being built and users will go with the flow.

it is a big hassle getting to the files on your own LAN server while in an overseas office, even though we have our own global network. Storing in your mail ain't really a workable solution.

Can't see us deploying cloud until 5 years after it becomes mainstream. We're like that. Slow and cautious.