• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally Posted By: JA
As it was explained to me, the reason is that people are expected to take their rubbish home with them.

We noticed it one day when +1 bought what she thought was a sweet roll, only to find that it contained very, very fishy smelling product. She was wanting a sweet bun to go with coffee and what she got was definitely NOT appropriate.

Couldn't find a bin, not even in the main shopping area of Sapporo. Ended up going into a shop to find a bin.

and?
I know now obviously with a few years living here, but that isn't the point. Why if there are plenty of rubbish bins do people choose to throw it on the ground?

Agree, there is a huge littering problem in many built-up areas in Australia, and other counrties around the world.

It freaking disgusts me.

Especially the junkfood & cigarette-related litter.

Oh, and someone mentioned they suspect that 99% of ppl dont ever litter, but 1% always do. That's not right.

It's more like the majority rarely litter but a certain not insignificant % litter quite often especially under certain circumstances.

Whilst our taxpayer-funded councils and governments should be providing improved waste bins and collection services, this is not really a huge part of the problem.

It is the attitudes of those who often litter, and to change it, the authorities need to hit them where it *really* hurts, in the back pocket - i.e. fines.

Sure there are fines in place but who has ever heard of someone actually being fined and paying it - very few ppl I'll wager.

Triple such fines, and the Cops, Rangers, Parking Officers, Transit Officers should all have heightened powers to issue fines and heavily encouraged to do so for littering as well as smoking in "No Smoking" areas, violence, break & enter etc.

Originally Posted By: Tubby Beaver
Why if there are plenty of rubbish bins do people choose to throw it on the ground?

Poor attitudes, laziness and the fact that they can easily get away with it.

Fines need to be heavily encreased and enforced.

And don't you just love people who pull up to the lights and empty their ashtray on the road!!!!! They don't want their car stunk up with a full ashtray that they have been to lazy to empty at home so HEY just dump it on the street for someone else to clean up!!

Maybe a fine and 50 hours picking up rubbish would be more incentive for these pigs.

OH YEAH THURSDAY - LOVE THEM!!! During our drought those idiots started SO MANY bushfires that it got to the point that if anyone was seen throwing cigarette butts out the window you took their number plates reported them to the police and they were charged.

And so they bl00dy well should be! Everytime!

There's a reason why the car makers put ash trays in the cars - SO idiot smokers can USE THEM! If you cannot put up with the stink of dead bumpers, - two possibilities, clean the ashtray regularly OR quit!

Love it!! Sorta like my experience on a m/cycle, driver ahead had right turn indicator on and turned left. At next intersection, left indicator but turned right, and so on for a couple of intersections. At a set of lights, I pulled up beside them and asked of they knew where they were going. Their surprised answer was "of course!" but not so sure when I told them why I asked.

Today I was at the train station at about 3:30 pm. There was a young school boy there (about 7) in his school uniform, a posh well to do private school.

Anyway this kid bought some candy from the platform kiosk and opened it. The cardboard box came off and he nonchalantly dropped it on the ground, then the foil wrapper came off and he too flicked that on the ground, all without hesitation. Then began walking away while eating his candy. I was watching intently quite amazed at the utter selfishness of his actions and total disregard of disposing of the litter, and as he began to walk away I stepped in front of him and gave him an evil glare, he looked up with spaced out eyes that said "what" I pointed to his litter lying on the ground and growled at him to pick it up, at that point he started to look a little concerned but went and picked it and binned it. I saw a couple of other commuters looking at disgusted at his actions but naturally none of them were about to confront the little shit.

I am guessing he's a rich spoiled little brat who gets away with murder at home.

But that's not all, he got on the same carriage as me and we got off at the same stop and he was about to litter some more as he got off the train (this time the plastic tray the candy was in) until he saw me and decided it was best to put it in the bin.

I was flabbergasted. The little sod really pissed me off.

You should have punched him in the face.

Do I sense some issues with 'posh', 'well to do', 'rich', 'spoiled', 'private school' people there, SG? wink

I find it is the layabout, good for nothing, poor education idiots who are the ones more to blame for such things. (Not that your little spoiled rich boy didn't do a bad thing of course).

stir

Rich or poor, private school or not - it all comes down to what the parents have taught that child, how well it has been taught and what level of peer influence is at play in that childs life at that time.

I had someone make a crack at me about my 'spoilt silver spoon' kids not having a clue what it is like in the real world a few weeks back....boy! - were they put in thier place when I told them that one of my 'pretentious angels' was heading off to devote his entire school holidays in the service of the poor and disadvantaged in Nepal and had spent the last few months fundraising, and collecting supplies. She seemed to think that being raised without need meant being raised without a grip on reality, or without an understanding of what life can be like, or without honor. It doesn't.

Anyone can be a dufus ... and what your parents income is has very little to do with that!

Originally Posted By: grungy-gonads

Do I sense some issues with 'posh', 'well to do', 'rich', 'spoiled', 'private school' people there, SG? wink

stir

not at all, I work at a private jnr High/High school and see plenty of rich kids every day and 95% of them are great kids.
Perhaps I was a little strong on his background, if he had been a regular scruffy public school kid I would have done the same, but this little chap had something about him. Just looking into his eyes and watching his mannerisms. You could sense the arrogance in him even though hes probably too young to grasp the concept.
Nevermind, you get people like that at all levels.

on another side of things, it is ugly.

Money actually turns everyday normal people into really big arseholes. All of a sudden, they can't handle the fact that they no longer have to plead for things by being polite. They just stick the wad out.

Stay down to earth, heaven will come to you.