This is Onikobe. It faces east, and is set on the inside rim of a caldera, hence the relative steepness. The main area is on the lower-middle slopes. There is a very nice run along the ridge from right to left, and you can drop off the ridge through the trees. The steep upper run about 1/3 of the way in from the left is unpisted and can be quite choppy

soubriquet_189.JPG

This is the run down the ridge.

soubriquet_141.jpg

Here is the entry to one of the tree runs.

soubriquet_140.jpg

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I used to live in Fukushima and have spent a fair few winters hitting resorts and mountains up there. Love the area - big as it is! Resort wise I've got a lot of good memories at Zao, really like that place. Some of the lifts might get annoying but there's lots of good points and the snow is often lush.

I'm sure you'll enjoy it with a bit of good planning.

Any plans on your Tohoku trip? I bought air tickets last week ( and just booked four nights at Appi at beginning of Jan. Since have watched the pound nose dive against the Yen. omg GULP.

How you going to get around Tohoku? I just booked a car for my trip, with racks and snow tyres from Narita. For four of us definitely works out cheaper than Shinkansen and obviously makes it much more convenient.

hey all- I dont mean to sound lost, but whats the story with this trip? I live in the area, and all the places that you mention are a few songs on the ipod away.. (not literally but close enough)... would love to hear more..

We are renting a car and riding round ourselves.

JamesOhJames - we're still putting the plan together, but now we have the flights sorted thats the big thing done. Pity we can't know the weather in advance.

Failed freeganes?! lol Yes, that we are. Not gay though, though nothing against gays.

• 4 weeks later...

Well we have pretty much decided on a trip and here it is:

Arrive Tokyo, get out of there asap!

Drive up to Appi Kogen then make our way down via:

Shizukuishi

Tazawako

(Mayne Onikoube)

Yamagata Zao Onsen

Bandai / Inawashiro area

We will be driving so we can change this as and when, so it's just a guideline. Looks good to me.

groovy

Mi itinnary this Dec/Jan: Narita - Gunma (may sneak up to Minakami/Kagura) - then Akita for 11 days at local ski slopes and Tazawako, then 4 nights at Appi. Hopefully there'll be some snow. Last time conditions though generally crap in Akita were pretty good in Appi - stay to the left of the mountain for quiet & untracked powder.

If you go to Tazawako make sure you visit the Nyuto Onsen:

torihada_1.jpg

Ganiba

torihada_3.jpg

torihada_2.jpg

They're very close to Tazawako. My favourites are: Ganiba & Taenoyu.

When I get organised I'll post some photos from Appi, Tazawako and may have some other Akita resort photos. I may even stick some lame headcam from Tazawako & Appi on youtube

• 1 month later...