Aussie moving to Japan for a year (Yamanashi)

I don't know about you but when I go back home I keep on bowing and everyone laughs at me... shifty

I remember a few years ago that I actually forgot my snowboard bag on the street. I was running to catch the last train so it didn't even cross my mind that I was missing the most important piece of my language. In any other part of the world, I would be probably out in the shops next day to buy a new snowboard. In Japan, the bus driver found it, traced me through my ticket and shipped it to me at home expenses paid by him!!!

Josh,

You need to take some of the advice offered here with the proverbial grain (or six) of salt. A lot of non-Japanese/non-residents will offer advice - yes, I know I am one of them, ... - but the advice to take note of is the nationals and those ex-pats who live there.

Get your bowing training started Josh.

I hardly ever shake hands now. I can't quite remember if I first did when I came here - I think I did but that faded out. I find it to be a quite strange thing to do now.

Yes, when I go back I find myself bowing as well, tsondaboy and coming out with the odd yoroshiku and other everyday phrase.

I'm so used to doing our local gold coast handshake which I guess you could compare to some sort of american ghetto handshake. I'm used to giving 'knuckles' when asked for it. Hah something Ill have to get used to I guess!

Originally Posted By: tsondaboy
You should be able to get a second hand one for 10 - 20000 yen at a surf shop on the beach.

You can get some really good deals on boards on the Internet as well.

It seems I am not allowed to post links, so you'll just have to hunt around (though best sites are in Japanese so you'll need to make friends).

Hassled or Robbed in Japan!!!! Very unlikely I found them to be one of the friendliest most honest people. In fact I think we could take a leaf out of their - book even there children were polite. Can you imagine leaving a vending machine (with beer in it) on a street corner in Australia I DON'T THINK SO!!!!

We were gob smacked when people were pulling up to the supermarket, leaving there car running and going in and doing their shopping.

Joshstar - Go to a book shop and get the Lonely star japanese phrase book and there is another great one (will let you know on that one tonight when I get home) that puts all the japanese words in phonetics which asking simple questions very easy.

Japanese people are very willing to help and we found a lot of them could speak a little english.

HAVE A GREAT TIME!!! Bring on the POW!!!!!!!!!!

SH those are some of the points that I love about living here. Still such a structured, polite society comes at the cost of individuality and freedom of thought. I love living here but I'm damned glad I didn't grow up here.

The more I stay here and only go back on holidays, the more I value the good points about this society. I hope those things don't change. Polite (sincere or not) is so much nicer than just simply rude and couldn't give a shit attitude.

I heard somewhere that Yamanashi is the sunniest prefecture in Japan, dunno if its true though. Nice area near to Mt Fuji, the lakes are really cool to go and have a trample around. Kawaguchi-ko has a cable car that takes you to the top of a small hill that gives awesome views over the lake and Mt Fuji