Aussie moving to Japan for a year (Yamanashi)

Hey guys Im moving to Japan on a working visa for 12months I leave in exactly 7 days and fly into osaka next wednesday. Basicly Im just wondering if I sould bring my own winter gear or buy it over there. I only have a max of 20kgs to take on the plane and its like $50AUD every kilo your over or something. Are snow jackets, boots, pants, etc cheap over there? Im going to have to buy a board and stuff anyways.

Ive only snowboarded once although I wakeboard at least twice a week and surf everyday.

I'm moving to Minobu. I'm staying at the Ramada Kansai International airport for 2 nights when I fly in. At this point I have no idea how Im going to get from Osaka to Yamanashi, Im not to keen on catching trains (think I might get lost or get the wrong one) so Im looking into maybe a bus? Any ideas. If anyone lives in Osaka and would like to catch up or help me out when I arrive let me know! Anyone from this forum live in Yamanashi?

Haha I was gonna bring it over but its just gonna cost to much so I was thinking of getting one there. I generally only ride fish's for doing airs. Short no bigger then 5'10 and super wide. If anyones got one for sale let me know!

Joshstar,

Welcome to SJ and to Japan. My advice - don't be scared of trains in Japan, or of the people who run them! Japan has some of the fastest, cleanest and most convenient train services anywhere, and all stations have bilingual signs showing you where you need to go to change. A simple question in clear, slow English will usually be understood, and most Japanese (staff or other passengers) are likely to be very friendly and helpful.

You'd be lost without trains in Japan - so check you route in advance and go for it.

When you have the chance to come up to Tokyo, head to Kanda-Jimbocho area (down the hill from JR Ochanomizu Station on the Sobu Line or up from Jimbocho station on the Hanzomon subway line) and you'll find numerous ski and sports shops stocked with a huge range of boarding / skiing / surfing gear. There are always bagains to be had, so spare a few hours and you can get kitted out even if the budget is on the tight side.

most of all - enjoy!

Hahaha I had no idea. I assumed there wouldnt be to many aussies.. I was wrong!

As for the trains, your right I looked into it a bit more and I shouldnt have any issues from Osaka to Minobu - just the 1 transfer. I was just more worried about being hassled or robbed or something.. maybe being taken advantage of, but from what Ive heard the Japanese are generally polite and gracious, so I shouldnt have to worry about this to much.

"hassled or robbed"? A major good point of Japan is that you pretty much never have to worry about such things. Mugging or violence to the individual is almost unheard of in most places. I'd say you have more to fear from other foreigners in that respect than from Japanese. This is the country where you can lose your wallet with the Yen equivalent of several hundred USD in it a few days before pay day, and no-one seems surprised when the whole lot comes back to you untouched.

I recently had a friend from London visit for the first time and initially he refused to believe that all of the stock sitting on the pavement outside a local supermarket was the real thing...they even had bottles of wine and whisky neatly stacked out there in the street.

There are things that'll drive you nuts about the place for sure, but the basic standard of honesty is a wonder to behold

Not rude, some people might expect it we noticed - but a little bow is much more fun, especially as we can't do them properly (and clean for the hands too).

Now if it is an annoying gaijin with a huge head, just punch 'em in the face. Or avoid before contact is made. wink