• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thats fighting talk Gloria!! wink

I prefer Japanese Ramen to Chinese, bearing in mind that I've only eaten chinese ramen while here in Japan so it may not be the real deal. I find Chinese Ramen to be lacking in flavour in comparison the soup itself seems to be kinda of watery.

Originally Posted By: 2pints,mate
Is there a big different in ramen in different regions of Japan? Or pretty much the same thats on offer?

Generally the same stuff, but the soup base or toppings may vary, even the noodle firmness or thickness sometimes. It's all good.

Chinese wor mein and Japanese ramen are both noodle dishes with soup and toppings, but they are different. I like both. The Chinese soup tends to be more sublime with gentler flavoring, whereas the Japanese broth is usually more strongly flavored. Probably the most similar thing to the original Chinese you'll get in Japan is "shio aji" which is just the base soup stock flavor without shoyu or miso added.
  • 3 weeks later...

Actually there is actually no such thing as "chinese ramen" !

Chinese restaurants in Japan make ramen to please their Japanese customers but in China they call it "Japanese Ramen" and don't sell it in Chinese resturants but in Japanese ramen chains.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ramen

I heard Sapporo was quite boring for nightlife.. is that true ?

拉麺 ramen is short for 手拉麺 which is "hand pull mein" It's from China.

Ramen of the Japanese variety is a bit more springy to the teeth because some oil has been added.

The miso soup flavour of Sapporo ramen is intense and very tastey.

Originally Posted By: soulboy
I heard Sapporo was quite boring for nightlife.. is that true?

Not really. It does depend on what kind of "nightlife" you're looking for, though. On weekdays, some places roll up the welcome mat a bit early, but there is bound to be something happening down in Susukino.
  • 4 weeks later...

Stellar Place - big multi-level shopping and dining complex built around and over the JR Sapporo station.

Stella's place - haven't had the opportunity yet... I'm intrigued and frightened at the same time! Just so long as it isn't somewhere like Shinjuku ni-choume...