• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally Posted By: Jynxx
Always amazes me they can make money when there are so many places on one floor and so many floors and so many buildings.

When I was down in Tokyo we went to an area in Shibuya (I think) and there was like 50 bars all in one block. Most of them unable to seat more than around 10 people. One place only had one bottle of scotch behind the bar and that's all you could drink. How any of them were making any money is beyond me!
Originally Posted By: Go Native
Always amazes me they can make money when there are so many places on one floor and so many floors and so many buildings.

When I was down in Tokyo we went to an area in Shibuya (I think) and there was like 50 bars all in one block. Most of them unable to seat more than around 10 people. One place only had one bottle of scotch behind the bar and that's all you could drink. How any of them were making any money is beyond me!

but how much was UNDER the bar? wink
Originally Posted By: Go Native

was that in the tiny bars that are built under the Railway bridge, just past the crossing? My J-mate took me in their once, cool for a foreigner to see, but each "bar" could only have held about 10 people max

Actually looking it up on the net (I really don't know Tokyo well) the area is in Shinjuku and is called Golden Gai and supposedly has the highest concentration of bars per sq meter anywhere in the world.

This is the block and apparently there's around 200 bars in there!

8890618.jpg

Originally Posted By: SKI
That is a fine pic. Which direction is it taken looking in?

Looking south towards Odori park.

And yes, taken from Nikko Hotel JR Tower at 8:30am.

Sapporo is spectacular in sunshine, blue skies, and whte ground.