Mechanical B-movie killer crab above the door?

Ez - I'm interested in that bike path too. I've been up and down the Makkomanai one a bit. As for the doctor, if that bike I saw him on had any more swing and springs, the cranks would hit the ground. Maybe that's the goal, pedal lines in the fresh.

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Giant Crab? Near the host club "King" across the street from the 109 Plaza?

The more conventional thing to do is ride the path in spring and camp out at the lake overnight and take in the view at the onsen, maybe hike around a bit, then ride back. Would make an ace long weekend trip! I should probably at least ride the path in the non-snow season once before attempting to do it in winter!

Sounds like an excellent long weekend Ez. Beautiful countryside out there. Must try it.

Well, Niseko's got all the fresh today, but yesterday the fresh was here in sunny Sapporo. I had another great day up at Teine Highland, with about 10-12cm of fresh. Just enough to soften out Sunday's tracks and whilst it wasn't deep or dry, it certainly was soft, spongy and fun.

Plenty of action in the woods, and plenty of Japanese ducking under ropes. The lifties and patrol don't really seem to mind. I got a bit too enthused at one point and had to do an embarrassing walk of shame for the last flat 30 metres under the lift, down across a creek and slithering around to the lift entry, trying my best to be invisible. I was prepared to get a lecture, but all I got was a smile and a 'dozo' onto my chair.

Sapporo. Great.

So far, I haven't seen one in the wilds yet. Came upon some fresh scat hiking at Asahidake and smelled the bear, but didn't hear it crashing through the bushes or see any movement.

I see bears more often in Whistler.

Summer Beer Garden, Susu and kino, Toyota Big Air, Daimaru Buffet, Snow festival (altho only need to see once - one in Asahikawa is good too), close to Niseko but also Furano and the Big Snowy Mountains, Teine Highland, .... could keep going...

Originally Posted By: Blade
Teine Highland

I'm shralping it as you read this. Good dump Thurs night, after a saddening Christmas Day thaw.
Toyota Big Air

Tell me more, tell me more...

(Edit - correction to that - I'm not shralping anything. just woke up to a foot of snow, but 13 metre a second winds and a gale warning! And thunder!? shifty )

Toyota Big Air - Monster jump air-style fest held yearly with stops in many major snowy cities across Japan. I went to the 2004(?) one in Makomanai. Pretty awesome. Shawn White was competing... I can't really remember who else was there...

Toyota Big Air - freezin, but a bit of whiskey keeps you warm, top international pro riders, top Japanese riders, live bands, huuge jump in open stadium, live acts...a good time definitely and the after party is one not to be missed. this year on Feb 14th. check out their webpage for more info.

Thanks for the info boys. In the meantime the Car Danchi crew are gonna be at Bankei tomorrow night for an expression session and then the movie. It's all free and starts at 5pm. Buses from Maruyama Station (Tozai Line). For more info (in Japanese mostly) search for 'Bankei Night Ride'.

Ezorisu, good decription but this one only held in Sapporo, every year, no tour. X-trail Jam was just held in Tokyo but they are the only two major big air comps in Japan.

I stand corrected - I thought it was a tour. wakaranai
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

It's been up and down. End of January saw most sidewalks and streets back to bare, and snow-removal vehicles sitting idle. But since the start of Feb there have been some great falls. It's been snowing steadily again this morning, and garden walls are starting to disappear under snow piles.

Teine was epic on Sunday, even though the top lifts were closed. Deep deep powder galore. I've driven along easier roads on 4WD surf drives in Australia than the road from Teine town up to Teine Highland on Sunday.

Don't miss the International Food Fair down at about Nishi 9. The sausage lollipops are back! As is the steaky don. Indian Naan bread curry roll-ups too.

Apparently there are some ice sculptures too.

Thursday - please try to remember while you stagger about, clutching your can of Classic that pedestrian traffic is one way, clearly marked by arrows. We don't take kindly to free-thinking miscreants like yourself causing chaos at our well-planned festivals. It's run by the army you know.

• 1 month later...
  • 9 months later...

From my recent trip:

We were in Susukino when I saw a cash making opportunity. Club Love, 11/F, so I went up and strutted my stuff.

thursday_106.JPG

thursday_109.JPG

Made some good cash for dinner. Including this magnificent king crab leg.

thursday_107.JPG

Next morning was a glorious Sapporo day

thursday_108.JPG