• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sapporo is ace. Friendly people, great bars, virtually flat for cycling, and a festival around every corner. You've just missed the beer festival featuring the attack of the six-litre Kirin beer towers (marketing genius), but you're right on time for the 'Sapporo Autumn Fest - since 2008'!

http://www.welcome.city.sapporo.jp/english/event/september.html#autumnfest

Enjoy...

You lucky, lucky person. With great food (crab, ghengis khan, and ramen), friendly people, a comfortable climate, mountains nearby - and municipal ski resorts within the city limits...! - what more can you possibly need from a city, I ask you?

I hope that your heater works OK... that's all.

・West 5

Hokkaido gourmet and ramen noodle festival 2008.

15 popular ramen shops will be open. There will also be gourmets like "Okhotsk Kitami salt yakisoba", "Nihon Sea Shrimp and octopus gyoza", "Furano Omelet-curry".

・West 6

Odori Bazaar Amigo!

An open cafe during daytime, and a special bar at night, will be open with the collaboration of 6 restaurants of Odori area and "Sapporo Tapas". You can discover every day the "food" and "culture" of Sapporo downtown. Music and performances are to be held on stage.

・West 7

Hokkaido sake and appetizers.

Presentation of appetizers and food made from Hokkaido sake and ingredients, especially in the Odori Park 7-chome Bar where you can try good sake. There is also a concierge corner where food writers will present their suggestion of Sapporo restaurants.

・West 8

Sapporo Odori Furusato Market

Formerly named “Linkage up Festivalâ€, it is held every weekend. More than 100 cities, towns, and villages will sell their freshest fishes, seafood, vegetables, beers and juices.

West 7 thumbsup

I'm not joking, folks here in Sapporo seem to start getting edgy if there hasn't been a festival for a day or two. I recently thought I'd made it through a day's riding around without riding into the middle of festival, and then I turned a corner and rolled straight into what appeared to be a fire services festival. It had extendo-ladder rides for the kids, 'see if you can hold on to this high-pressure hose' challenges, 'try and light these flame-retardant babies clothes' opportunities, and a jazz band smack in the middle of it. The winner for me was the smoke alarm demo tent. I was ushered into a tent filled with dry-ice smoke, screeching smoke alarms and an unknown number of other people. Visibility was zero so I was encouraged on my way in to clap my hands so that I didn't bump into other distressed fire victims. I would have gladly obliged had I not been pissing my pants laughing...

Around the next corner was four closed-off streets worth of street-drinking and eating - a rehearsal for the real Susukino Festival, apparently. Sapporo, as I said, is ace.

If you look above, it seems that the majority of opinion is about the food and festivals. There is good seafood and produce here. Sapporo is clean, reasonably quiet, and has a good public transportation system (and is ace for cycling, as Greenroome pointed out). I'm sure that could be said for a lot of Japanese urban centers, so Sapporo isn't really unique in that way. Add quick access to nature - whether that be the ski fields in winter or parks and hiking courses in summer - and a slightly more laid-back atmosphere, and that's why it's great IMHO (but I'm biased).