I live outside Japan. Would like to seek advice on where I can good snow condition, during the week from 20 Dec. I know it is matter of chance and in relative sense. I went to Niseko last year and had great snow but lift close most of the time. I would like to try somewhere else. Any clue? confused.gif Appreciate your input. lol.gif

Background - companion of 8, 5 of them are beginners (2 even first time ski). Apart from beginners, the rest of us are crazy for ski, we like large mountain with a lot of long trials, hate waiting those large cable car. Whistler's mix of trails and facilities is the type we like. We ski only twice a year, so really treasure every time we ski and cross our fingers for snow.

I already told you, Nozawa.

It's the biggest mountain, with the best snow at that time of year, with long trails, fast lifts and gondolas that don't close, and terrain fit for real beginners and advanced riders. Oh, and 'Onsen' happens to be part of its name.

Being nowhere near the sea, the sushi won't be up to much, but you can certainly get it.

Thanks a lot, got it. Sounds good to me. clap.gif

I am so happy to search for resort now... if you have any favorites, please drop me a line too. Thanks.

What do I like? Maybe this time with ski in/out, new in condition is preferred...

Also, Shiga Kogen, a bit closer from Tokyo. This conglamorate of ski resorts is as big as it comes and you can take the shuttle busses between them. Also higher altitude makes it a more chance of better snow in the early season. Like Nozawa, Shiga also has a lot of onsen.

Save Sushi for Tokyo.

Nozawa Nozawa Nozawa

Not sushi, but the soba they serve in Nozawa is the best I've had, EVER ! ! !

I don't know about Tokyo sushi, but 2 hours trip from Nozawa is Niigata, which has all kinds and all price ranges of excellent sushi.

Mr Bill

I've not been to Whistler so I don't know what you mean by "facilities", but in terms of the variety of services for the foreign guest, it's hard to beat Hakuba. English-speaking skiing lessons, ski maintenance, day trips with English-speaking guides to other places of interest, ski touring and snowshoeing... - all of this can be arranged before you arrive. If you want to stay in a middle to high-end hotel, you'll probably get a better deal going through a tour operator who can also arrange all of your connections.

In Hakuba itself, there are lots of resorts located next to spectacular alpine scenery, a great variety of accommodation for all budgets, the best variety of restaurants you'll find in a ski town (Indian, Chinese, Italian, Tex-Mex, an beautiful old Samurai house full of antiques...), lots of different onsen, including a private one you can hire for your group and others with outdoor baths with great views. Sometimes the weather gets bad enough to stop the gondolas at the two biggest resorts Happo and 47/Goryu, but the other resorts are sheltered and rarely stop. Also, sometimes when it's snowing hard in Hakuba, you can find clear skies just down the road at the Sun Alpina resorts that overlook a pretty lake.

Some of the guys are suggesting Nozawa. There's only one resort there, but its very big by Japanese standards. The snow is good and the views are quite nice, if lacking the rugged wall of mountains you get in Hakuba. The town is small and charming with narrow streets flanked by traditional looking buildings. It's all self-contained, so if you break a ski or something, you'll have no problems getting some new ones. In terms of choices for accommodation, restaurants, bars, and English speaking services, it's well behind Hakuba. There are many old onsen dotted around Nozawa, but they are all extremely small and geared towards the traditional Japanese concept of taking to the waters for the mineral benefits, not so much for giving your body a good scrub and taking a slow relaxing dip after a hard day's skiing. The last time, I went to one with no stools, so everyone has to squat on their haunches to wash themself with the soap and shampoo they've brought with them. For foreign visitors who tend to be new to communal bathing, the "average" onsen you get near your "average" ski hill is going to be a lot more comfortable.

I've not been to Shiga Kogen since I switched from skiing to boarding several years ago, but the area linked by the buses is huge. The snow there is also very good.

If you want good sushi, go back to Hokkaido. \:\(

Very informative and diversified, thanks a lot. Although it makes me confusing now and good to know more about the places. Different people may have different preference and where comes different suggestion. Comments from various perspectives provide me more pieces to complete the puzzle. ;\)

If I have about 9 days, 18Dec to 26Dec, including transit time from and back to Toyko, what will be the possible ideal itinerary? Shall I try out 2 places?

Sounds like Hakuba may be the best bet after all. Travel between two areas like Hakuba and Nozawa would eat into your skiing time. Spending the whole time in Nozawa only would be a bit boring. So staying at Hakuba and riding two or three resorts would be fun.

I don't know if there are shuttles between resorts around Hakuba area. If you don't have a car, it would make it hard. I know Niseko has busses between resorts (Hirafu-Higashi Yama - Annupuri) although they are all connected at the top.