From the Telegraph:

Quote:
Why fish and chips are to be sniffed at

27 Aug 2008

Fish and chips is not only one of Britain’s favourite dishes - it is also the nation’s favourite smell, according to a study.

Britons’ judged the mouth-watering aroma of fish and chips to be even better than the scent of freshly baked bread and clean sheets.

The survey, of 3,000 people, also saw freshly cut grass, frying bacon, lemon zest and the smell of a roast dinner, in the top ten favourite smells.

Fish and chips was the overall favourite scent, but when it came to the smell that is cleanest and freshest, the majority of people rated lemon as top.

Researchers also found more than 53 per cent of people felt happy when they catched a smell of their favourite scent, while 46 per cent said it relaxes them.

Professor Tim Jacob, a scent expert at Cardiff University, said: “The sense of smell connects the deep subconscious regions of the brain and triggers different emotions and behaviours.

“For example, the aroma of food triggers a mouth-watering sensation in preparation for digestion.

“Conversely, bad smells can protect us, by warning us to stay away from something that might harm us.

“Certain feelings are evoked by scents, so lemon is traditionally associated with cleanliness and freshness, but interestingly, it also has antidepressant qualities too.â€

The survey found that our most hated smell is that of public toilets. Other hated smells include body odour, bad breath, babies’ nappies and cigarettes.

The study was conducted by Finish Lemon Sparkle dishwasher products. A spokesperson for Finish said: “It’s not surprising that our national dish came out on top.â€

Now, I can think of many things that I like the smell of. Fish n Chips comes low on the list.

What's your favoured smell?

Chippy smell is great on a cold winters night. Walking home and you catch that greasy aroma warms you from the gut!!

I love the smell of Bacon frying and fresh bread or toast beiong made. When I was young I used to live next to a 24hr Bakery and about 8pm the bread for the following day was beginning to waft thru the air. Anytime I smell fresh bread/toast smell I think....natsukashi!!!!

Quote:
but when it came to the smell that is cleanest and freshest, the majority of people rated lemon as top.

The study was conducted by Finish Lemon Sparkle dishwasher products.

I wonder if the study was conducted by Finish Orange Sparkle dishwater products they would have found the same?

Am I being too cynical? lol Just kidding. Lemon is nice.

This is going waaay off topic, so ... to bring it back, I offer the following ...

The smell of a freshly turned hay paddock (or field if that is what you wish to call them)

newly pressed olive oil

fresh bread in the breadmaker - just short of being ready to turn out.

Actually, make that food in general!

bacon frying

any baked goods in the oven

walking past a BBQ on a balmy summer night

but one of the best smells for me probably has no smell at all - i love clean, cold air. it's pretty refreshing on a winter morning at the beach, in the bush or in the snow. just the nice crisp fresh air