• Yes
    • No
    • Not sure
    • Can you do another poll please?
  2. 2. Should I make a new poll?

• Yes please
    • No, don't need

I'm with Tsonda on this.

Just got home from function to farewell Madi off to the paralympics - she is 14yrs old and allowed to compete in wheelchair track - and so she should! If she is fast enough why not?

Same for the GYmnasts!

Why does it matter do you say? well it matters because there are rules which everyone has to follow and China it seems 'cheated', in their dogged pursuit of medals.

They have already shown what lengths they will go to in these olympics to create the best image and to win at all costs, from the lip sync fiasco, CGI fireworks, biased shooting judges and now underage gymnasts - nicely covered up too.

Whether it be age limits in Gymnasts (to protect young gymnast from being exploited for their superior flexibility at the detriment to their growth) or bans on doping or whatever, everyone has to play by the rules.

no one likes cheats.

thumbsdown

I understand SG's complaint that rules need to be followed in competition - but I think the rest of us think the rules about age restrictions are a bit redundant.

Athlete's generally need to get 'experience' under thier belt before qualifying for the Olympics in any case - but if a 14 yr old can beat a 24 yr old or for that matter a 44yr old can beat a 24 yr old ....GOOD LUCK to 'em!

Originally Posted By: 2pints,mate
But I don't see why there should be age limits.

There are some who would force very young athletes, under 10, in some cases, (especially in the gymnastics arena) into extreme danger through the complex and dangerous routines they are expected to complete.

It has happened, and that is why the age rule exists in gymnastics. AFAICR the age rule does not exist in other sports, but I could be wrong. Also, AFAICR the extreme problems were from Iron Curtain countries where babies were "harvested" and force trained, somewhat like trained animals. All in the name of medal tallies
Originally Posted By: JA
Originally Posted By: 2pints,mate
But I don't see why there should be age limits.
Also, AFAICR the extreme problems were from Iron Curtain countries where babies were "harvested" and force trained, somewhat like trained animals. All in the name of medal tallies

Do you still live in the 70-80's or something? The Iron Curtain has fallen in early 90's so since we live in 2008 that means that she was born far after that. If you kept a track on the news about this, that have gone silent by the way, she has presented her passport that says she is 16. Are we gonna accuse China for publishing fake passports to their citizens?

As far as I understand and remember from my school years, kids train for gymnastics as early as 6. In fact, if you are past 10 its too late to start training. So if you are aiming to become a world clash athlete by the time you turn 16, you better get your arse ready for some hard training or find something better to do with your time.
If you call that abuse, then what do you call the "western" way of training, to give teenagers steroids and all other crap up to 2 months before the games and then drop them so that they wont be detected by the WADA tests. Unfortunately the sports industry is who is pushing kids to their limits, not a country.
Originally Posted By: tsondaboy
Unfortunately the sports industry is who is pushing kids to their limits, not a country.

...and don't forget the individual themselves. The desire to win, the NEED to win is the motivator for most of the people who over do it in sport. Classic example is Lisa Curry-Kenny at the moment...she has never been accused of drug taking as far as I can recall...a picture of athleticism and health. But she now has a pacemaker in her heart due to damaged that is related to over training.

I studied/danced ballet (and other forms of dance) through my school years and dancing en pointe really lost it's attraction for me when I saw the gnarly naked feet of long time dancers! There is always a pay off for engaging in sports that we love, and if you want to be THE BEST in any sport - there is gonna be long term life time damage to your body in the end. Knee reconstructions, shoulder reconstructions, arthritis...I am sure we could all come up with a gnarly list of injuries or permanant damage done to our OWN bodies from sport. Huh?

If it is thier passion - let them engage.

tsonda, I was relating to the "old days" when the regulations were framed. Like it or not, that is where these rules came from. If you kept up with the news, maybe that would not have passed you by.

Mama, I have no problem with a kid being passionate about a sport. My 2 girls were so passionate about ballet that, when one of them had a cartillage problem diagnosed (that promised to stop her dancing forever) she refused to accept the doc's verdict. Eventually she had to give away the dance because of the pain, and is now working backstage in props for Cirque de Soleil in Europe, but at the beginning, it was a hard battle to fight to get her to understand the problem and why she could no longer dance.

BTW, Go Girl!! (for Madi)