Sad news I read last night, and heard more about today.

3 men were killed in the NSW Snowfields in blue sky conditions yesterday.

One young fellow was a climber who had a cornice fall away onto him.

Two were skiers who hit tree's in separate accidents. From what I can gather at least one of the skiing accidents was with a tree just to the edge of a groomer... Both were men, one in his 40's one in his 60's.

RIP.

Feel for the Ski Patrol on duty that day - all accidents were in the Perisher Blue area (the avalanche was at Charlottes Pass not far from Perisher).

yes that was the Outer Limits run..I believe he was just ducking off the run through the tree's at the side! That run is predominantly blue on the groomer!!! Really quite a sad story - sad enough when there is ONE - but three on the same day. thumbsdown

Never thought I would be one for danger sports... confused

But here I am addicted anyway!

Would be great if there was more info available here - like:

* were they wearing helmets?

* would it have made a difference if they were?

* was the area in bounds or not?

* what speeds were they travelling at?

* what level of experience did they have?

This kind of information helps the rest of us to formulate in our own minds good choices when we are on the snow ourselves. It would be great if they could release such info.

EG: The fellow who was on the cornice when it gave way - there was enough write up on that to take away the lesson of not walking out onto a cornice! Especially not on a sunny day when it could give way on you. There are lessons to be learnt.

• 2 weeks later...