• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Forgot to mention. I have seen Phantom and while there are some good songs in there, and the production is impressive, I was not keen on the bits in between. As 2pints said, a bit too much screeching/shouting and singing at the same time.

Les Mis has no parts that I dislike and is by far the best (that I have seen) and I look forward to hearing what you thought big-will.

Something like back to near normal now.

Yes I thought it was very very good, I was very moved. The songs, the singing, the story, the production, the sets - it was all top class stuff and indeed there were a fair few sniffles around at the end. Not a slightest hint of cheese. Bought the Complete Symphonic Recording of it.

It is quite affecting and I'd actually like to go see it again. I can understand how people go back to see it again and again.

Thanks for the advice.

Glad you liked it. I was confident you would!

I have just tonight re-watched the one-off 10th Anniversay Les Mis concert they did at the Royal Albert Hall (on DVD).

There is no fancy set - just the 'dream cast' (lots of the original/best in each part inclusing THE best Jean Valjean and Javert) singing at the front of the stage with a huge orchestra and choir and the beautiful music.

It is simply fantastic - I think I've seen it well over 10 times now and I never tire of it, simply cannot watch it without getting all emotional and having a good cry.

If you loved it and want to 'see it' again, buy that DVD - you won't be disappointed.

I'll be in london ina few weeks and I' m going to go see 'Wicked' which is like a prequel to Wizard of Oz.

Reading this thread I wish I had gone for Les Mis, but maybe next time.

Came across this info about Les Miserables.

Some very impressive statistics:

------------------

56 professional companies have opened Les Misérables in:

London, Washington/Broadway, Tokyo (3 companies), Tel Aviv (2 productions), Budapest (2 productions), U.S National 1, U.S National 2, U.S Bus and Truck, Sydney, Reykjavik, Oslo, Vienna, Toronto, Gydnia, Melbourne, Stockholm, Montreal, Amsterdam, Odense, Paris, Prague (2 productions), Madrid, Copenhagen, U.K. Tour (2 companies), Manila, Duisburg, South East Asia, Karlstad, Aalborg, Australia National Tour, Antwerp, Aarhus, Helsinki, Buenos Aires, Gothenburg, Malmo, Bonn, Sao Paulo, Chemnitz, Estonia, Gyor, Detmold, Shanghai, Korea, Mexico, Saarbruecken, Dessau, Bolmo, Berlin and Danish Tour.

Productions have played in 38 countries and 223 cities. The countries include:

England, United States Of America, Japan, Israel, Hungary, Australia, Iceland, Norway, Austria, Canada, Poland, Sweden, Holland, Denmark, New Zealand, France, The Czech Republic, Spain, Northern Ireland, Eire, Scotland, Wales, Bermuda, Malta, Philippines, Mauritius, Singapore, Germany, Hong Kong, Korea, South Africa, Belgium, Finland, Argentina, Brazil, Estonia, China and Mexico.

Les Misérables has been translated into 21 different languages:

English, Japanese, Hebrew, Hungarian, Icelandic, Norwegian, German, Polish, Swedish, Dutch, Danish, French, Czech, Castillian, Mauritian Creole, Flemish, Finnish, Argentinian, Portuguese, Estonian and Mexican Spanish.

The production has played over 38,000 professional performances worldwide giving a total audience figure of more than 51 million people.

There have been 31 cast recordings of Les Misérables (including albums, singles and the symphonic).

Les Misérables has won over 50 major theatre awards, a Grammy for the Broadway cast album and a Triple Platinum Disc for the London cast album which has now sold over 1,030,000 copies in the U.K. The highlights album has gone gold in the UK and Australia and the Les Misérables in Concert album has gone gold in the UK.

A song from the show, "One Day More", was used for Bill Clinton's 1992 US Presidential Campaign. "Do You Hear the People Sing" was played over TV newscast from the student protest in Tiananmen Square. "Bring Him Home" was officially requested by the US State Department to use as background for promotional material about the US troops engaged in the Gulf war.

There are approximately 101 cast and crew directly involved in every performance not including front of house staff, and the huge back up services including ticket sales, advertising, wardrobe staff, set contractors, maintenance, office staff, advertising and publicity.

Each performance entails some 392 complete costumes consisting of some 1782 items of clothing and 31 wigs.

The biggest single live audience for Les Misérables to date was 125,000 at the 1989 Australia day concert in Sydney. The biggest broadcast audience was when 250 Les Misérables cast members sang at the 1996 European Football Championship, televised to 400 million viewers in 197 countries.

The longest running production is in London where it played 7,602 performances at the Palace Theatre before transferring to the Queen's Theatre where it opened on 3 April 2004. It is the longest running musical both at the Palace Theatre and in the west end.

On 25 January 2002 the New York production overtook A Chorus Line to become the second longest running show in Broadway history. A record that it held until 4 February 2004 when it was overtaken by the Phantom of the Opera.

Les Misérables celebrated the 10th Anniversary of its world premiere on 8 October 1995 with a Gala concert at the Royal Albert Hall, London. The concert starred the original "Jean Valjean", Colm Wilkinson, who led a company of 250 artists and 100 musicians. All the artists involved had appeared in the worldwide productions of Les Misérables and the specially arranged finale featured 17 different Jean Valjeans singing in many of the languages in which the show has been performed.

The 10th anniversary concert was filmed for television and has since been seen by over 4 Million viewers in the United Kingdom. The video has gone on to sell over 1.4 million copies worldwide, including over 555,000 copies in the UK.

Bought the dvd yet big-will?

Here's Colm Wilkinson, the original Jean Valjean, doing Bring Him Home. I'd so love to see him play the part live, he IS Valjean! Awesome and such a beautiful, beautiful, sad, sad song (especially when seen in context!)

This was my favourite to sing, playing Fantine. Can't sing it quite as well as Ruthie here unfortunately.... friend