I will be in London on Thursday night and a chance to take in a show and wondering which to go to - perhaps one of the popular establisheds like Les Miserables or Phantom or a newer one like We Will Rock You (sounds cheesy but heard some people really loving it).

Hmmm, what to do.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not good if you hate Queen though that one.

I saw Les Miserable and thought it was superb. I would like to go and see it again one day.

You can go to the pub when it finishes!

big-will. The big ones are a really good experience, if you havent been go to one of the ones you mentioned and you will have a good time. I would prefer Les Miz myself, but they are both an experience. Lots of people cry so if you are a bit of a woofter might be better to take some tissues. wink

Musicals don't rock my boat at all. For me they are a waste of time, I'd much rather go to the places Thurs suggested as well, the Natural History Museum, the Tate. Horses for courses I guess

Totally dig live music - pretty much any genre... but not into musicals at all though. I was dragged to a musical recently and figured that at least seeing an orchestra perform would be cool but they were singing to a backup track. wtf. Karaoke in fancy dress.

I am sure you will enjoy it big-will.

ger, comparing a road production of La Vita to what we are talking about here is like comparing one thing that is totally different from the other.

Saw full production of Les Mis in Toronto over 15 years ago. Liked it enough at the time but... anyway, I'm sure Will'll have fun in London. The beer and pies would be the big pull for me.

Must admit to have sat through Mama Mia, the Aussie cast, when they were here. For that reason I avoided we will rock you and anything musical on stage. I should've known actually cos saw phantom many many years ago and thought it was total crap. But the girl liked it so I smiled and said it was good.

I was at Live Aid in Wembley. I found it very hard to actually enjoy any of it. I look back now and think what a freakin' waste of time that was. Such is the way of a directionless youth.

I have played both Cosette and Eponine in a local production of Les Miserables.

It is a truly fantastic musical with some incredible and beautiful songs - I Dreamed A Dream, On My Own, Bring Him Home, etc. I love it to bits and could watch it time after time without it losing its power.

You have to be a cold hearted person not to be affected by it if you sit down and watch a full production of it, it is superbly staged. Thats what I think.

I am not at all into the more light hearted ones like We Will Rock You, Mamma Mia etc - they are a different thing altogher.

Im no expert on these things but have seen a fair few. By far my favourite was Les Miserables. Miss Saigon was fairly entertaining. Phantom had way too much noisy almost shouting-like singing going on for me and wasnt that keen, some nice songs but also some that were a real pain to my ears. I disliked some of the light-hearted ones - hated hated Starlight Express and Cats was only just bearable.

Good choice there big-will, hope you enjoy it. In fact, I have sent you a PM, me and Bag will be in that area Thursday night and will be there outside the theatre - across the road outside Starbucks - when it finishes. BagOfCrisps will take a bag of prawn cocktail crisps and will be waving it about so you might recognise him. Hope to see you then!

Avoid the Lloyd Webber ones. The songs are rubbish, and the leads in the shows are whored on X Factor type reality tv to get more punters in. The songs in classics like South Pacific, West Side Story, etc. are just so much better. I've never seen Les Miserables the musical, but its a nice story.

I'd avoid the Abba and Queen ones too. Glorified karaoke, imo.

Not seen any myself, but the bagofcrisps identifying strategy is genius!

I read Les Miserables when I was younger, very big book and hard going for me but there is a very good story in there.