Anyone seen it? Already been talked about? I saw it on tv the other night. Amazing story. The guys look like they were pretty stupid to be doing what they were doing, but how the hell did the one guy survive?! wakaranai

2 climbers that go up an unclimbed peak in the Andes (I think) and get into all sorts of trouble. The one guy ends up having to cut his mate off a rope as he is dangling over a cliff with a busted knee/leg, who then falls into a crevass, pretty deep. Cut a long story short they both survived. Awesome story.

Originally Posted By: thursday
Somehow iget the feeling I know what happens

actually, it's the exact opposite of what you think!

btw just finished watching it....it was epic. Thanks BP for letting us know about it. I know I will def never go ice climbing!

As a passionate and keen mountaineer myself I have seen the movie read the book along with countless other similar mountaineering epic stories of tragedy and survival. I was also fortunate enough to have met Joe Simpson in person at the premier of the movie, Touching The Void. Joe is well known and well respected within the UK mountaineering circles and a really great guy as well.

For whoever asked earlier,

the film is about Joe Simpson and Simon Yates climb of

the west face of 6,344 metre Siula Grande.

BP, I must ask.

What seems "pretty stupid" about attempting that route?

It's a calculated risk just like anytime we duck a rope, or exit through a BC gate. The better the goods, the higher the risk I'm willing to take to get on that. I've been to Siula Grande, it's quite inspiring, and I hope to return one day.

What was stupid was was how Yate's knew he was down climbing, and didn't belay him down the 20' cliff or whatever it was, he prolly wouldn't have fell. They didn't dig a cave at nightfall. Yate's didn't anchor himself while belaying. Yate's then cut the rope while still having 150' of rope left because his hands were so frozen that he couldn't get the knot holding the twin 150's together through the belay plate. Then Yate's had one more screw, and one of the twins, he easily could have set a mediocre anchor, rapped down to poke around abit, but he bounced, and I'm not even going to get into how easily he could have secured his partner before digging his pit to crash out for the night. Anyone with basic mountaineering skills could have secured him. It should also be noted that the common decent for any of the routes on Siula Grande is to rap the face, rather than decend the ridge.

That was stupid...

I'm never climbing with Joe Yates!!

If Yate's knew what he was doing

Joe Simpsons story of survival however is amazing!!

Where the movie ends it then takes more than three days by mule and truck to get to a hospital in Lima... however the doctors wouldn't treat him till his insurance cleared two days later!