• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There used to be an event in the long forgotten past for ONE HANDED weightlifting! veryshocked

I like the gymnastics - there is always something going on! The other night I giggled myself silly at some hyper-bouncy girl on the floor who kept on bouncing out of the lines - she was just chock full of fizz!

Has anyone checked out the youtube of the weighlifter whose arm snapped? OUCH!

(I tried to find one working, but apparently they are copywrited so they are all being removed!) Looked pretty seriously painful!!!

Australians vow revenge on cocky Britons(08-19 12:07)

Australia's Olympic Committee president, aghast at the sight of Britain above his country in the Olympic medals table, has vowed revenge -- if not now then on British soil in 2012.

"They're certainly serving it up to me,'' John Coates told a roomful of downcast Australian journalists when asked how to cope with gloating British fans and officials.

"Their new-found cockiness has got some substance to it,'' he added.

Britain, Olympic hosts in 2012, were in third place in the medals table this morning, one place and one gold medal ahead of Australia.

Australia and former colonial ruler Britain have a strong sporting rivalry, particularly in rugby union and cricket.

REUTERS

Originally Posted By: thursday
Australians vow revenge on cocky Britons(08-19 12:07)
Australia's Olympic Committee president, aghast at the sight of Britain above his country in the Olympic medals table, has vowed revenge -- if not now then on British soil in 2012.

"They're certainly serving it up to me,'' John Coates told a roomful of downcast Australian journalists when asked how to cope with gloating British fans and officials.

"Their new-found cockiness has got some substance to it,'' he added.
Britain, Olympic hosts in 2012, were in third place in the medals table this morning, one place and one gold medal ahead of Australia.

Australia and former colonial ruler Britain have a strong sporting rivalry, particularly in rugby union and cricket.

REUTERS

Totals! You gotta look at the totals! Only looking at Gold is against the Olympic Charter.
Originally Posted By: Rag-Doll
Perhaps the stupidest sport at the Olympics would have to be hand ball. It just looks dumb. Sort of like a back yard knock-about game arranged at someone's Phys Ed class.

One sport that I have always thought odd was ping pong, how a simple rec' room activity got so big and popular and people found ways to make it complicated is really quite amazing.
Why isnt pool or darts or air hockey or foosball at the olympics too?

I like Snyc swimming, yes its bizarre but it must be extremely hard to do and they must practice ad nauseum to get it right plus there are some very fit bodies and if you are a leg man there is plenty of that on show.
The Chinese twins, tingting and wenwen today, yup! yummy

>Totals! You gotta look at the totals! Only looking at Gold is against the Olympic Charter.<

Absolutely. What's the point of awarding silver and bronze medals if they are not recognized in the wash up?

Speaking of fit bodies, there are definitely some sports I prefer to watch regardless of medal prospects or which country is involved.

Preferred ogle sports:

Diving

Synchronized swimming - eyes sorry

Indoor Volleyball (but not the Chinese team - yeech!)

Triathlon - nice bums!

Pole Vault

Hepthalon

What's on the other channel sports:

Weightlifting

Any event involving throwing a weighted object

Any event involving throwing, punching or otherwise rendering your opponent senseless

Gymnastics - despite what the how old the Chinese reckon their girls are, it just doesn't seem right.

this is just talking about the sports we like and the sports we don't like.

What about the drinking arm contest? All athlettes drink pints of neat vodka and the first one to die wins the gold.

Table tennis is actually a very demanding sport. You have to have the reflexes to hit back.

The size of the ball was increased a coupla years back 'cos neandethal euros found it too fast paced. Why didn't they stick to darts?

Sports to be included in the Olympics are voted upon by the IOC. Rugby sevens failed by a very narrow margin. Cricket was thought to be damn boring for thinking people. Too right.

But I'd like the Rugby included 'cos that is much much more representative than softball or the freakin horse stuff horse

Originally Posted By: JA
As Mantas said, it is hard to see anyone other than the lanes either side of you. So, from lane 4, it wold be almost impossible to see someone in the outer lanes. Add to that - most swimmers breathe on just one side, so if the wide out swimmer is on the "blind" side, it's harder.

JA, you'll find that most distance swimmers breathe on both sides, it's usually the sprinters that breathe on one side. He was just unfortunate that someone was in his way as I think he would have been able to go with him had he seen him go.

SSAR, I'd never stop eating Rice... what a silly thing to do!

How's Bolt? Just playing with the 200m also? Hate to see it when he goes for a hard out run!

Rag-Doll, I can't believe you don't like the Hammer or Shot Putt.

Another sport I don't like in the Olympics is Judo, mainly because I don't know the rules, how they score etc. To my untrained eye it just looks like wrestling, another sport that sucks. Why don't they have Karate instead, so we can watch 2 people kick lumps outa each other??

On a lighter note, a suggestion for further inclusion: Bar Fights!! Get everyone in a room, get them drunk and let them punch it out with each other, kinda Royal Rumble style, last man standing wins!!! veryshocked

Originally Posted By: thursday
neandethal euros

speaking of those, I see the light heavy, heavyweight and super heavyweight mens weightlifting was dominated by the by Neanderthal euros - German, Russian, Latvians, Belorussians.
As impressive as the Chinese domination of the lower weight classes is and it is mighty impressive, I want to see the Chinese to take on the big boys.

Rugby 7's would be great team sport for the Olympics, too bad many IOC delegates are ignorant.
Anyone of dozen countries including minnows like Samoa Tonga and Fiji would be medal contenders, plus it only needs one stadium and two days to complete - perfect for the olympics.

And yes, say good bye to the horses, but they wont as its one of the most popular events especially with females, huge television interest in it.

I found the judo very boring, there seems to be only two ways to win, by pin or by overarm throw.

The fencing was really good, just dramatic with the lights off, kinda like a star wars light sabre battle.

Originally Posted By: bobby12
I found the judo very boring, there seems to be only two ways to win, by pin or by overarm throw.

you can win a number of ways actually: submission by choke or armlock, pin your opponent for 25 seconds, or throw him onto his back with force & precision. If you don't pin them for the full 25 seconds you get points, same goes for throwing them on their side (if they spin out of the throw). If you throw them with force onto their backs you win the fight outright (it's called an ippon). The sad thing about judo is the influx of wrestling moves which have taken away ippon judo. Japan, korea and a few other countries still do quality judo though. Tanimoto the gold medallist for -63kg won all her fights by ippon = quality judo by a true champion

I think TB has a good point in there. We tend to like/enjoy sports we have a good(ish) understanding of the rules. So, I like the eventing and the showjumping, as I have a fair understanding of the rules and scoring. I am far from impressed at the synchronised sinking, it is just a waste of effort - another sport where the looks of the competitor and the impression of the judges is more important that who reaches a finish line first.

IMHO, it is not a sport if the result is determined by the objective judgement of a number of people. I include diving, gymnastics, dressage, synch sink, and any others of similar ilk.

Victory to J-Land.

What a great game!

The Hurdler - Sally McLellan - what a classic. Was it just shock or is she just a little bit dumb. Absolute champion in her field - but I suspect no Rocket Scientist!