In the old style pools the outside lanes used to be more affacted by back wash from the waves hitting the sides of the pool. Might not be much of a problem these days, but when you're measuring to 100th's of a second, it might matter.

How about Bolt's 100m? Really don't understand how he could be doing anything different to what Lewis was doing 20 years ago but still run more than .1 of a second faster. Amazing.

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Emma Snowsil wins the gold in the triathlon, Emma Mofatt bronze. Australia has been denied victory in this event since it started in the Sydney olympics in 2000. Silver in Sydney, silver in Athens. It makes the win so much sweeter.

clap

P.S. I am also interested in other countries achievements but national pride is at fever pitch at the moment.

That win by the Boomers (Aussie Men's Basketball) over Lithuania today was AWESOME.

After some pretty poor form by the Boomers during their Olympic campaign thus far, and many of their star players failing to fire nor mesh with other team members well to put together lots of good plays, they have really fired on all cylinders today.

Based on form and how good Lithuania have been in the European leagues in recent years, this game was looking like we would cop quite a beating.

WELL DONE BOYS!

Now, onto the yanks in 2 day's time.. Where we will get soundly smashed in return.

BTW

ABC am radio, which is 1233 on the dial here in the Hunter/Newcastle region of NSW has been very good regarding Olympcis 2008 coverage.

Certainly not constant nor a huge amount of coverage, but still quite a lot, both during 11am-3pm daytime, as well as some evening/nighttime broadcasts.

In fact, they have switched between some big Aussie highlight events most days very well!

Sure they called the aerial ping pong sometime during the weekend like they always do, but you get that.

Been very impressed with much that 1233 am ABC radio has done the past few years, very cool.

go 1223!

and the aussie triathlon sheilas rocked! well done, ladies..

I am loving the table tennis and the kayaking

ha ha , we are coming third in the world now.. oi oi oi..

That is pretty good for a country with xx million people.

Against countries with xxxx million/billion people..

Originally Posted By: Rag-Doll
In the old style pools the outside lanes used to be more affacted by back wash from the waves hitting the sides of the pool. Might not be much of a problem these days, but when you're measuring to 100th's of a second, it might matter.

Correct Rag-Doll.
And if you notice Olympic pools these days are usually 10 lanes wide with the 1st and 10th lane unoccupied...this also lessens the problem. They progressed from hard drains to pools where the edges had the water lap over to these extra laned pools. And it does make a difference in competition to be in an old style edge of the pool lane.

You would also notice that some of the swimmers swim right over to the edge of thier lane in the drag of the swimmer beside them - happened to our Aussie Medly relay girls - although they hung on for the win...this 'dragging off another swimmer' is simmilar to bikes riding in each others drag zone and helping each other out with one taking the lead at a time, however there is not a heap of 'sharing' the workload in the pool....

Torres was showing her age a bit by doing that amd it looked a little bit like Hakket and the other guys were doing a bit of this. The younger swimminers don't seem to do it as much, perhaps because they're used to it being less of an issue with the new ropes. Though that said, I read or heard somewhere that a recent international swim meet in Melb(I think) had substandard lane ropes because of sponsor requirements, so I guess it shows you never know, getting close to the guy next to you might win you the race.

Originally Posted By: Go Native
Am I the only one who hasn't watched even 1 second of the Olympics?

Not at all GN. I watched the final 10mins of the women's triathlon in the level 3 lunch room of a corporate building in the city. There were loads of fat arsed office workers munching on donuts and showing no interest in the TV. I think one guy looked up when the commentator yelled out "it's gold for Australia"

Ironically the whole of level three, including the lunch room we were in, was decked out in olympics paraphernalia, banners, sign, slogans everywhere. The theme was the olympics but the spirit was zero.

That is just SAD Mantas!!

Don't get me wrong - I am not rushing home from work to stick the telly on, but when I am home I keep the telly going in the background so I can catch up on the highs and lows for all, and the big wins for Aus.

Originally Posted By: Mamabear
That is just SAD Mantas!!

Don't get me wrong - I am not rushing home from work to stick the telly on, but when I am home I keep the telly going in the background so I can catch up on the highs and lows for all, and the big wins for Aus.

Same here. I don't rush home because the telly is on at work and the kids at home make too much noise. I stay at work and get better coverage!

I "heart" Olympics!
Originally Posted By: Go Native
Am I the only one who hasn't watched even 1 second of the Olympics?

probably, I love the Olympics have done since the first Olympics I was old enough to appreciate in 1984, my sports loving teacher had the TV on in the classroom and everything was about the Olympics for 2 weeks. Every four years I get wrapped up in it - it's awesome. I have watched more live T.V in the past week than I have watched in the rest of the year, also downloaded lots of torrents of stuff not available on Japanese TV.
The weightlifting has been fascinating, the swimming brilliant.
Who said Table Tennis? the channel change instantly when I come across that, there is so much more interesting stuff on.

Luckily the Olympics coincided with summer vacation,

after the end of the olympics life will go back to normal.

Guess I'm more of a winter Olympics enthusiast. The summer games hold little interest for me. Plus I'm not exactly what could be called a patriotic Aussie (frankly couldn't give a damn about Aus anymore).

I enjoy it for the sports, I don't really care so much about the patriotism, if NZ get a gold medal then I will take more notice for a instance but, I watch it for the spectacle. I like watching sports NZ suck at anyway!

Though the mens Tri' is on live now - Kiwi bloke leading out of the swim, frenchie second and an aussie third

Originally Posted By: Tubby Beaver
I have watched very little of the olympics as well. It just doesn't grab me at all.

Most Pointless Olympic sport....gotta be Synchronised swimming for sure

There are more than a few sports that kind of only exist because they're in the olympics. Hammer throw, shot put, discus , geez just about all of the athletic field events and more than a few of the swimming events all seem pretty contrived. They're really only survivors of the strange list of events from the early days like swimming obstacle course and live pigeon shooting and other equally odd events. Backstroke makes about as much sense as a 100m meters three legged race or an egg and spoon race. At least syncronised swimming exists in its own right and, whilst it looks a little lame it also looks like bloody hard work. The fake smiles and heavy make-up are a bit much though.

The jingoism isn't great but the idea of people putting everything on the line for a once in 4 yrs opportunity to do their best is provides a fair amount of drama. Its what's at stake that makes it worth watching, the human drama if you will. Its nice if the person is wearing the right combo of green and gold (and not some dodgy copy from SA, or Brazil or any of those other places).
Originally Posted By: SG
I enjoy it for the sports, I don't really care so much about the patriotism, if NZ get a gold medal then I will take more notice for a instance but, I watch it for the spectacle. I like watching sports NZ suck at anyway!

I feel the same SG. Last night I sat through 2 hours straight of gymnastics, not a green and gold (aussie) uniform in sight. How could you not marvel at what those guys, and a gals, do? It's a chance to appreciate sports that you wouldn't normally get to see. The guys on the rings were amazing

Perhaps the stupidest sport at the Olympics would have to be hand ball. It just looks dumb. Sort of like a back yard knock-about game arranged at someone's Phys Ed class.

Looking forward to the Us v Boomers basketball game. Not that the outcome is much in doubt, but it will be good to see the local boys up against the NBA's best.